Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Freezing Doing Lookup

ACT Freezing Doing Lookup

I have been having this problem for over a month with ACT 2011 Premium, it freezes when I do a lookup.  Going through the KB I have tried several solutions - decreasing hardware acceleration, updating the video drivers, maintenance on the database. These didn't help.   I am the only one having this problem - no other users are having it and we are on the same database.

Any suggestions?

Mike Johnson

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Freezing Doing Lookup

[ Edited ]

Hello Mike,
Please provide some additional information so the Community can better assist you:
Does this happen with any lookup? Or just a particular lookup or type of lookup?
Does it happen with Advanced Queries as well?
Are you using a local database or one shared over the network?

What operating system does your computer use?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Are you using Dual Monitors?

[ Edited ]

Greig... Yes, this happens no matter which records I look up any with any method I use to do a lookup. Haven't tried advanced queries. My database is shared over the network and I am using Windows 7. I worked on this over the weekend and discovered it was a video problem.

[ Edited ]

Talentxfactor...

Yes, I am using dual monitors:  the primary one in landscape orientation, the other in portrait. How did you equal the issue with dual monitors. I discovered this weekend that that was the problem. When using one monitor, I have no problem. I have turned the other monitor back, but in landscape orientation. So far, ACT is not locking up.

Copper Contributor

We ran into the same issue...here is the quick recap and how we fixed it.

We run 3 work stations off a server - 2 others in the office had no problem ... we recently moved and our monitors got switched around. One member of our team had problems, and it was only when I put on his headset to hear the BING...that annoying sound when you have to address and open window...that's when I realized the window is there - we just can't see it. First, we hit escape key to get out of the issue...but still we couldn't figure out where the window went. We went to one monitor (didn't help) and finally I did the following...

1. Updated both drivers to manufactor's recent...don't think this mattered.

2. Fiddled with the Monitor Orientation (which one was main, which was #2 etc.) Switched the "Main"and finally it all worked fine.

I imagine when you have dual monitors - ACT! has to have the settings a certain way to work...I don't think it has anything to do with video acceleration or drivers but just simply settings on which monitor is main and which is #2, as well as resolution.

Try fiddling with it...worked for us.

Thanks for the information. When using one monitor, ACT doesn't freeze during a lookup. When second monitor is on in portrait it freezes doing lookups and when second monitor is landscape, ACT locks when designing layouts. So we'll keep 'jiggling the handle' on it. It's good to know what's causing the problem. I guess the ultimate solution is a large, single monitor.