Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Fields Missing in Google Contacts

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Fields Missing in Google Contacts

The labels that Google puts in the top row are NOT the real field names. If you look at the .map file in the article referenced above, you'll see they don't correlate.

I don't know why this is such a mystery and the field names aren't readily accessible. This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hmmm, that is odd since I've used the exported google field names before when programming via their APIs.  Not sure where Act is getting their field names then. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Ok, after further inspection, this is my theory: 

Line 5 through line 99 of the downloadable .map file referenced in the KB article are the only available Google field names.  Meaning you can map the Act! fields to any of those listed Google fields.  I'm assuming, but haven't tried, that you can't map to a custom field in your Google contacts (if you've made one). 

I was assuming the Act fields would be the same name that they are when you go into edit fields in Act, but that's not true.  I don't know where they're coming up with their field names. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hello,

Open the run line to rung actdiag.

From the desktop with ACT! closed, use this key combination.

Hold the Windows key down (lower left) and then tap the letter "r" .

This will bring up the Run line. Type in   actdiag     and hit OK.

This will bring up the ACT! Diagnostic Utility. In the utility  click on Databases > Database List.

In the list of databases find your database. Rt click just to the left of it.

Click Database Reports > Database Structure > Field List to CSV.

Open this csv file in Excel.

Notice column D which is called COLUMNNAME. Notice Column E which is called COLUMNDISPLAY.

Looks like COLUMNNAME from ACT! is what you use to map to Google.

I got nothing for you for Google.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Wow, that's really intuitive.  I see now why they didn't feel the need to include it in the KB article  <rolls eyes>  lol.  Thanks nabel1611.  I don't think I would have figured that one out. 

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Nabel,

I would have figure that out, maybe, in a bazillion years.

So, after doing that, I see that ID/Status actually has the COLUMNNAME Category, which makes sense.

However, I don't see one for Notes, which CompanionLink did map to Google. Any idea what that COLUMNNAME might be?

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

So, I just tried running Google Integration following the instructions found here:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28129

and after making the following additions to the bottom of the UserContactMapping.map file:

<Association>      <Field Name="GROUPMEMBERSHIP" />     <Field Name="CATEGORY" />     </Association>

<Association>      <Field Name="NOTES" />      < Field Name="NOTES" />    </Association>

</AssociationMap>

</FieldMap>

It did not change the Group or Notes in Google. Any idea what I'm missing?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

The only custom mapping I've been able to get to work is when a field just a text field, not a drop down box or anything fancy.  

I was able to get this one to work: 

<Association>     

<Field Name="BUSINESSHOMEPAGE" />     

<Field Name="CONTACTWEBADDRESS" />

</Association>

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Can someone from Sage please help us get this figured out?

Highlighted

I'm currently on ACT v20 (having recently upgraded from ACT 2012 (v14).

Just checking to see if any progress on Google Sync with custom fields. I've done a CSV export and then imported into Google Contacts (no Notes but several custom fields), but would love to be able to at least one-way auto-update/sync from ACT! to Google Contacts.

I turned on the Google Integration from within ACT! (for Google Contacts only) and it does zap over basic info (name/address/email/phone, for example but I would like to add a few custom fields (and the ability to include Notes from ACT! would be awesome).

Like some of the users noted here, I've used CompanionLink in the past, but wanted to see if I could eliminate that extra step or two (and I don't believe that CompanionLink supports ACT! v20 yet anyway).

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.