Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT External Hard Drive Installation

ACT External Hard Drive Installation

We have ACT Premium 2009, version 11.1.183.  A laptop that we'd like to install a new licensed copy of ACT on has insufficient space on the primary hard drive.  I know from the documentation that "You cannot install the software to a network drive or run it from the CD", however, can anyone tell me if you can install the software and database on an attached external USB hard drive?  Please let us know.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT External Hard Drive Installation

Hello firepower,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community. While you can install ACT! to any drive, the SQL Server portion would need to be installed on a C: drive. Also, since the database needs to be attached to SQL, it would be best to have it on local drive as well. You can have the database on an attached drive, but if that drive becomes diconnected or the drive letter changes, the database willl be become diconnected.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Contributor

Also, depending on the amount of traffic, you may see performance issues on this type of a drive, expecially if the C drive on the machine is full. 

Another point to mention, if you are thinking of using the external hard drive to go from machine to machine with the drive, this can create problems as the database need to be attached and reattached from SQL each time.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for the great and very timely responses.  Just a quick follow up mainly to make sure I'm understanding terms correctly:

•  It sounds like ACT! can be installed to any drive (including an attached external USB hard drive) which I interpret to mean the ACT! program (i.e. executables, binaries, services, etc...).
  • It sounds like SQL Server express (i.e. executables, binaries, services, etc...) needs to be installed on the local C: hard drive but the actual SQL Server database file can reside on an attached external USB hard drive.
  • Assuming my understanding of the above configuration is viable (SQL Server executables & service on local drive C:, ACT! executables and ACT! SQL Server database on an attached external USB hard drive), any time the attached external USB hard drive was disconnected for whatever reason, it would require "reattaching" the database "from SQL" each time.
  • Again, assuming the above is correct, what does "reattaching the database from SQL" entail?  Is it as simple as a executing a small script such as the one found HERE ?

We don't anticipate needing to go from "machine to machine" with the external hard drive.  Our ACT! is just rather large so there's not enough space locally on the laptop's hard drive to accomodate it.  The laptop's local hard drive is also pretty slow compared to what we anticipate using so we're hoping the external hard drive will be better from that perspective as well.

Please let me know if I'm interpreting/understanding everything correctly!  Thanks again!

Your statements are generally correct provided the USB drive attaches as a local drive. If the USB drive attaches as a removable drive the answer is no. Given that the hard drive speed (both RPM and transfer speed) directly affects the ACT! program performance, I think you would be very disapointed with the performance of the setup you describe.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

Ditto, very concerned about performance in a shared environment. I don't think you say how many users, but if more than a couple, i'd look to procure a dedicated machine or server.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Have there been any updates to this circumstance?

The company owner wants to have the db on an external drive on her laptop. 

We're currently running:

Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2

No. MSSQL requires that the database be on a local drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129