Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT E-Mail Client Slow to Launch

ACT E-Mail Client Slow to Launch

Hi-

We have a group of about 40 users running ACT Premium 2008 10.0.1. We also have Office 2007 and use Outlook as our main email client. About half of our users send emails to customers or prospects that need to be recorded in ACT as histories. We have been forced to use the ACT Email client to do this because there is no admin-level way of managing email histories when using Outlook to send ACT email. This causes a problem because if an employee sends an email to another employee using Outlook, the history of that email goes to that employee's contact record, and it could be sensitive information. Unfortunately, we can't rely on everyone remembering to turn on or turn off history recording whenever sending an email, so we need an admin-level solution.

That solution, unfortunately, is the ACT email client. We have things set so that whenever someone is working with a contact in ACT, the ACT email client is used automatically. Whenever they send something outside of ACT, they just use Outlook, which does not record a history.

The problem is, for at least half of our users, when they try to launch the ACT email client it can take up to five minutes to completely launch! ACT itself usually only takes 30-45 seconds to launch for everyone, and Outlook doesn't slow anyone down, but the ACT email client takes forever! In the mean time, we have had to tell people to just be patient the first thing in the morning when launching their applications, and try to leave the ACT email client running all day so they don't have to relaunch it.

The other half of us, including myself, do not have this issue at all. I can launch the ACT email client in seconds, and so can a few others. Granted, I have a brand new machine, but some of the users who do not have any problems are running machines that barely meet the ACT system requirements. All the users who has the problem exceed the recommended system requirements. Some are on Vista, some are on XP. I can't see any real pattern between the users who have the problem and those who don't. So before I tear out all of my hair and we start the request process for 10 brand new computers, I'd like to see if anyone has any good suggestions for our issues. Thanks in advance!

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT E-Mail Client Slow to Launch

TJ I too have email problems that I will post seperatly......

Im sure the fix to your issue on half your PCs is a dangerous windows registry manual repair ---

Thanks again Sage for not coding properly and or for not having safeguards in place for this......

So...any ideas? I have read in other posts that ACT needs to be installed after Office 2007 because of some kind of driver issue? I can't confirm in which order software has been installed on all machines - is this something I should try?

newatatc - thanks for the sympathy. What kind of registry repair did you have in mind?

Copper Contributor

I dont actually know the windows registry repair - I just know that it will be something very dangerous .....

My Outlook and ACT still have problems ... ( I cant email out of ACT unless I close Outlook - then when I go to re-open Outlook... 50% of the time Outlook wont re-open)

Good Luck to me --- and to you

Platinum Elite Contributor

tjvis22 wrote:

Hi-

We have a group of about 40 users running ACT Premium 2008 10.0.1. We also have Office 2007 and use Outlook as our main email client. About half of our users send emails to customers or prospects that need to be recorded in ACT as histories. We have been forced to use the ACT Email client to do this because there is no admin-level way of managing email histories when using Outlook to send ACT email. This causes a problem because if an employee sends an email to another employee using Outlook, the history of that email goes to that employee's contact record, and it could be sensitive information. Unfortunately, we can't rely on everyone remembering to turn on or turn off history recording whenever sending an email, so we need an admin-level solution.

Try removing the amail address from the users' My Records. Then no History will be created when emailing each other.

The problem is, for at least half of our users, when they try to launch the ACT email client it can take up to five minutes to completely launch! ACT itself usually only takes 30-45 seconds to launch for everyone, and Outlook doesn't slow anyone down, but the ACT email client takes forever! In the mean time, we have had to tell people to just be patient the first thing in the morning when launching their applications, and try to leave the ACT email client running all day so they don't have to relaunch it.

Most likely it's the number of items in their Outlook Inbox that the Email client has to load ... move most to sub-folders

Did you ever find a solution to the ACT Email Client slow launch problem? We are in the same exact boat! Thanks.