Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Diag (and old SQL EX installation) pointed to old Win XP profile

Copper Contributor

ACT Diag (and old SQL EX installation) pointed to old Win XP profile

[ Edited ]

Older laptop (that had working ACT 2010 Prem .RDB) got moved to our domain and the old local winXP profile got deleted after the move.  Now ACT is unable to connect to the old .RDB and ACT Diag is showing it is pointed to the old profile (not the current domain one) and is unable to connect to the SQL EX instance.

A bit more clarification, if I create a new local database everything works just fine.

Do I need to delete some registry keys and reinstall SQL EX?

How do I resolve this issue?

ACT 2010 Core Certified
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Diag (and old SQL EX installation) pointed to old Win XP profile

So, if I understand correctly, is it able to connect to a local database (and local SQL instance) but not the shared database (shared SQL instance)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig,

Single outside sales laptop that had a working .RDB under a Windows XP workgroup user profile.

Single outside sales person came into our main office and we moved this laptop to be on our domain, hence creating a new domain user profile.  We did copy over the old data from the workgroup user profile to the domain user profile.

When logged in under the domain user I am unable to access the .RDB that was working under the workgroup profile.  It errors out saying that it is unable to find the SQL Ex install or path.   Same thing goes for actdiag.exe, it seems to be pointing back to the old workgroup user profile where ACT was originally installed and working from.

Any new databases created under the new domain user profile work albiet I am unable to unpack any .RDB files (this is the real problem) to this new profile.

Uninstalling SQL Ex and ACT do not resolve this problem, I believe there are still registry issues that are screwing the pooch (technical term) in this regard.  When I re-install the same problems persist.

By all troubleshooting accounts I am thinking that I need to re-point ACT to the current SQL Ex installation or manually edit some registry keys but don't find any information on doing so.

ACT 2010 Core Certified
Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you do a manual removal of SQL or use Add/Remove Programs?

- The registry keys you may also need to remove are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\Application. Delete any keys starting with SQL or MSSQL.

- Also check under the other ControlSet### keys under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM key. 

- Delete the SQL keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft

- Delete the Microsoft SQL Server program folder under C:\Program Files.

Reboot, then do a manual installation of the ACT7 instance of SQL 2005 EX per KB Article 19386. Then install ACT!. During the ACT! install you will get a prompt for an administrator password...this will be the one you create during the manual install of SQL.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Add / Remove un-installation.

I will try what you have suggested.

ACT 2010 Core Certified