Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Config and setting files

Copper Contributor

ACT Config and setting files

Does anyone know of any resources detailing which config/settings files do what in a users application data directory and if any are stored in the ACT program files directory? are if there are any easy ways of manually altering these files?

Basically im trying to create custom ACT views, depending on a users group within Active directory, this would mean custom menu's, toolbars, link menus etc. Also a further would like to lookup a saved advanced query on startup instead of viewing all clients in the system.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT Config and setting files

It seems you're trying to mirror your ACT Users with your network users in your AD.

That's fine, but it will be a difficult balance to maintain.

Many user preferences, like layout, are saved with the user's Windows login profile - if that helps.

As for the "advanced query on startup", is this not what "Limited Access" is intended to achieve?

With 2008 you can control which users or which groups can access which records.

Am I understanding you correctly.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

This is kind of what im trying to do. Basically we have alot of ACT users coming and going and the time it takes to fully customise a user in ACT is pretty lengthy so what I was looking to do was create a backup of there files and when I setup a new user just copy the templated ACT user into there ACT Application Data folder. I think this makes sense?

With regards to the advanced query on startup, its more of a wish than a need but basically I already use Limited Access but the database I have has over 100,000 contacts and really require a lookup to amediatly run when the user logs on to narrow there list down based on certain criteria I set.

Copper Contributor

The run-lookup-on-startup thing is something I would dearly like to have, because I want to screen out stale contacts (who might one day become not stale again) in my initial view without have to go through manually executing a lookup every time.  I noticed this thread is ove a year old but I wonder if anyone has a solution?

Barry