Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Backups not being recognised

ACT Backups not being recognised

Hi all

My company is long term ACT users - we have upgraded through the versions from V6.
But we now have an ongoing problem with our ACT! 2007/9 database, in that we cannot restore the backups that the database creates. If you try to Restore a backup file you get the message "The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT backup".
The database will create backup files (both manually and with ACT Scheduler) of about 2Gb in size - we have over 10,000 contacts and a large amount in the Attachments folder.

I have been trying to research this error without success through the internet/knowledge base/forums and I can't seem to find a working solution. The UK tech support don't seem to have come across this problem although they did point out that our database could have corruption in it.

I followed their recommended solution which was to create an empty copy and then import the data - but that didn't solve the backup issue and it remains the same. We have a 20 user database and the import took me an entire weekend as I imported user records, to maintain the record manager, initially (12 hours!) and then the data (even longer!).

Has anyone encountered this situation before and is there any way to resolve it? Is there any way of finding out if the database is actually corrupt and then how to fix it?

My company are getting increasingly worried about disaster recovery and won't authorise an upgrade to ACT 2008 until I can get this problem sorted as it leaves the business very exposed.

I'd appreciate any ideas or fixes that you have - all help gratefully received!

Many thanks

Sarah Wells

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Backups not being recognised

I think there is a 2GB limit on the zip files created in ACT! 9.... it really shouldn't be that big.

In the Database Supplemental Files folder:
1. How much data (in MB or GB) is in the Attachments folder?
2. How much data (in MB or GB) is in the Backups folder?

Thanks Mike

The database backups have only recently gone over the 2Gb mark - last week they were under 2Gb and still not working. (I've had this problem a few months and our database does grow quite rapidly).
We have 8.94Gb in the Attachements folder and 814Mb in the Backup folder.

I did read an article about the same issue stating to try it with the Backup folder empty (Is it right that ACT only dump things in here when it has a problem with the backup?).
So I did try emptying the Backup folder a while ago and backing up again but no joy either.
I will try it again tonight with the Backup folder empty just to see.

Also - I realise that we have a lot in our Attachments folder, should I be looking to reduce this and if so, how?

Sarah

Yes the Backup folder should be empty... it would only have something in it if there was an error during a backup.

Can you (just for a test) move all the attachments to another folder - more the Attachments folder and then re-create an empty one.

Then do a backup and try a restore.
Copper Super Contributor

Sarah,
Try Backing up with out the attachments.
There is a 4 GB limit and a 32,000 file limit.
I would guess that you have more than 32,000 files in your attachments folder.
If so Close ACT!, and keep it closed. Then manually move the attachments folder, then open act create a backup.
This will create a backup with no attachments. It will be alot smaller and it will also restore.
This Bug affects all version of ACT! 7-10
It might get fixed in ACT 11.. only sage and God know...

Jeremy Wesley
ACT! CC.
Jeremy Wesley
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, ACC, APT, A++
www.act.expert
Have you seen eXact Contacts? iPhone & iPad App that syncs directly with your Act! Database.

Hi

Thank you to everyone for the information - that does make sense about the file limit in the Attachments folder.
We only noticed it happening suddenly with no apparent reason - we must have gone over the file limit (we now have 43,000 files in the folder).

With your solution of moving/replacing the attachements folder with an empty folder whilst a backup is run - will this make the database lose links to all the documents?
I'm slightly nervous of moving/replacing the attachments folder and then the database not picking up the links to the documents when it is replaced.

Also does anyone have a long term solution so that we can backup every day?
Moving the attachements folder around on a daily basis could be a bit time consuming...!
Is there a way of reducing the files attached to the database - if I used the Remove Old Data tool to remove Histories (a lot of which have file/email attachments, would it also remove the files from the Attachment folder?

Thanks once again

Sarah

Instead of using the ACT! Scheduler to backup the database, you could try creating a BAT file, something like:
REM Change the SET Paramaters as appropriate
SET ACTSourceFolder="C:\Act\Database"
SET ACTDestinationFolder="D:\Backups\Act"
SET XcopyOptions=/M /E /C /H /O /Y /I
REM
REM - Stop ACT Service
NET STOP SQLAGENT$ACT7
NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7
REM
REM - Perform copy
XCOPY %ACTSourceFolder% %ACTDestinationFolder% %XcopyOptions%
REM
REM - Restart ACT Service
NET START MSSQL$ACT7
NET START SQLAGENT$ACT7
END
With the SQL engine stopped, you can use anything to copy/backup the database and supplemental files. You could replace the XCOPY with a command line ZIP or other back-up utility. Then have the BAT file run from the Windows scheduler