Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Attacking Hard Drive Space??

ACT Attacking Hard Drive Space??

I am still not 100% sure that ACT is the culprit...

ACT Premium V 10 - Windows XP Pro SP 2

I have reinstalled on 3 clean networked computers.  Before the installation, no problem, after, something grinds away at the hard drive taking the whole drive (up to 30 GB) within an hour.  ACT has been the only thing that has changed on these fresh installs.  One of the installs was a download from ACT's web site.  I have the latest and greatest virus programs, I have run Spybot 20 times.

I am not versed on SQL, but wonder if it may be the issue.  The directory that is "attacked" is WINNT.  Another odd thing, the WINNT directory grows exponentionally, but I cannot "see" any files that are written to it.

This has me and my IT person (who hates ACT by the way) totally puzzled.

Any help or comments is appreciated.

Brad
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Attacking Hard Drive Space??

Withouth being able to identify the file, it's difficult to say, but I've never heard of ACT! doing anything like this.

Maybe look at the Windows Task Manager and see what application is running?

I have monitored task manager and can't seem to isolate the process.  It actually happens when there are no programs running.

It's an odd one for sure.  I'm hoping to prove it's not ACT so I can continue using it.

Thanks for the reply.

Brad

How did you determine which folder?

Try turning on ability to view Hidden and System files to see if you can see the file?

Also check temp folders - any of:
c:\temp
c:\Windows\temp
Start | Run | %temp%

I kept checking folders to see which one was growing...that was it.  I have turned the hidden and system files on...nothing shows.  I monitored the temp files as well...

If the folder size shows as large, there should be a file there.

I can't think of anything ACT! even does in WINNT

You might try one of the tools (like filemon) from Sysinternals (now Microsoft) - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

I will try anything at this point.  Thanks...I'll report back.

Brad

Your IT guy (ACT! hater or not) should know these tools and might be able to help you with them to work out the cause

We had the same issue.

In short, temp files (i.e. tmp1C8.tmp ) get created when users sync.  I'm not entirely sure, but it appears that it occurs when they sync with attachments.  Temp files on our system vary in size from 1 to 12 MB's, typically.  Get enough of these over time,and you lose Gig's!!

Since ACT! does not allow you to specify the temp directory it uses (which would be nice), I set my system temp variable (which are typically in your .\windows\sys32\temp folder) to a different (and larger) drive.  Whenever I get to it, I'll create a script that deletes files with a .tmp extension.

Good luck!

I don't think the user is syncing (or at least didn't say this in the post)

Maybe if Brad runs the SET command from a CMD promt, it would show if the temp folder is set to WINNT - which it shouldn't be