Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! Add Ons

Tuned Listener

ACT! Add Ons

Hello:

I was wondering how many add-ons the average company uses.  I'm finding that vanilla ACT! is rather limiting, and I'm wondering if it is considered typical to require several add-ons to make it workable.

Any responses/comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! Add Ons

A lot depends on the way you are using the ACT! program. Most of the people that I work with use very few addons, typically one or two.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

As Roy suggests, the average for people who are aware of addons would be 1-2

The point of add-ons is that the core product should cover all tasks for 80% of users. For those who require specific functions not in the core product, they can be added as needed.

ACT!'s SDK and the range of add-ons available has been one of the advantages of ACT! over the years.

I personally use these:
  • Handheld Contact to have ACT! on my Blackberry
  • itImport to bring data from my accounting system and web site into ACT!
  • itTAPI for dialling outgoing and CallerID for incomming calls
  • Teslesupport Helpdesk - to track support calls
  • Contact Web Context Browser from the Developer Network here - to show Google Maps and LinkedIn info in a tab
  • Middle Pane from the Developer Network here - to display more information on the screen
  • Add-On Manager from the Developer Network here - to disable any specific addon when testing
Astute Commentator

I would eliminate one program from that list:  Itapi, now Dail.net (the programmer is German and meant to say dial).  Not too long after I upgraded to their latest version, I fried my computer.  That was December 2007, I have been trying since then to get the guy Ingo Lange to allow me to transfer the license to a new computer.  I'm soon to celebrate my one year anniversay of the struggle.  He refused, initially, saying I had to first remove the program from my fried hard drive as it would send a message to them that the computer had deregistered the program and I could then put it on the new  computer.  Obviously he didn't believe me.  I offered to send him a copy of the repair receipt from IBM together with a copy of the receipt for the new computer, but no.  This one little add-on cost about $200 so the idea that Ingo refuses to let you transfer it to another computer is beyond me.  Couldn't' they have programmed it some other way?  Anyone whose computer is lost, stolen, or fried like mine is up a creek.  I finally gave up and tried to have my drive rebuilt.  They got it partially working but not enough to program the removal - it showed as already been removed.  After ignoring my many requests, finally I made a big stink and six months later, Ingo sent me transfer instructions which didn't work.  I have complained to their U.S. office as well.  Patrick McCullough promised to get back to me within two days, never has, nor has he responded to my subsequent phone calls and emails.  I am in the process of complaining to Better Business Bureau in Mo and setting up a web postings to expose their deplorable service record. 

For the record, it was actually a pretty good program if you use Skype, however the version I last used in December 2007 was a real memory hog.  I could get away with in with XP because I had max memory on it.  Did the same on Vista, but Vista is such a hog, that Itapi - aka Dail.net, may not work with it.  Boy would that be the worst after this long struggle with CRMADDON.com.

P.S.  I got a message that they are applying to be an Act Gold member add-on.  Sure hope Act! does not elevate them!

Astute Commentator

Other add-ons I use are:

Egrabber (got it free with Act!  the version I really need costa bout $400).  I don't use it for importing addresses as it just doesn't import correctly and causes more problems than it solves.  However they have an add on that sets up time zones.  Anyone who does international business really needs this.  The downside is that it only works for a year then you have to pay for a renewal.

Jim Durkin has a bunch of addons I love.  Homepage Plus, Takslist Plus which allows you to change multple tasks at a time, contact list plus.  Jim is good at adding back some of the great options that used to be available  with earlier versions of Act!

My assistant uses Hi Impact Email  for email bursts and I am afraid she will shoot her computer each time she tries to use it.  The Northwoods solution may be better

Perhaps my favorite is Advanced Lookups by Groups, which allows you to subtract, merge, add members of one group to another group.  Terrific little thing

Another great Durkin program is The Associator, which allows you to associate one record with another with links such as client - attorney, etc.

I've been with Act since DOS and many of the best addons went to the wayside after they from the wonderful .dbf to this new horrible programming that is so difficult to work with.  KISS in my view

Platinum Elite Contributor

NYGDB wrote:

I've been with Act since DOS and many of the best addons went to the wayside after they from the wonderful .dbf to this new horrible programming that is so difficult to work with.  KISS in my view

Which add-ons are you referring to?

The new system is actually easier to develop more, and is more powerful. The DBF system was more difficult to read and was no-longer capable of adding many of the functions being added to ACT!

It does require an understanding of the Microsoft .Net framework, but this is pretty standard now.