Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 upgrade to 2011

Copper Contributor

ACT 6 upgrade to 2011

I have just upgraded my ACT6 database to 2011. What I notice is that even though the company name has been imported into the contact field, along with all the other details, there is no company list formed. I am used to viewing/searching company first and then contact name. How can I establish a company list from my 5000 contacts without having to re-enter them manually? cheers John

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT 6 upgrade to 2011

Hello Butj,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Since Act! V6 did not have a Companies function (as I recall it had Groups), so the conversion to 2011 would not create the Companies list automatically.  You can perform a Lookup on the company field and then sort the Contact List that is presented by the Contact name column (click on heading).

There are 2 ways to create Companies:

1. Access the Company view and click on New Company > enter the data > then link contact(s)

2. From the Contact Detail view > click on Contact menu > select 'Create Company from Contact' (this option will automatically link the contact to the new Company).

Another option is to use an Add-on product (such as Company Wizard), to view our list of add-ons visit this link: Act! Add-ons.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg

I have 5000 contacts and maybe 3000-4000 companies make up those. As a consequence of the conversion from ACT6 to 2011, I now have the names of the companys in the contact company field. How can I merge/transfer/import those company names into a company list without having to manually enter? Will company Wizard addon be able to do this for me?

Cheers John

You can export your contact field data and then remove all of the fields except for the Company names, then import that file into Companies to populate the Company List.  However, this will not link the contacts to the Companies.  The description of Company Wizard says it will link any selected contact to the existing Company, and if the Company does not exist - it will create it.

Should you want to use the export option, the easiest way to export the data is to use the Contact List view.  Perform a Lookup > All Contacts, then use the Export to Excel icon to create an Excel spreadsheet.  You will then save the Excel spreadsheet as a CSV file so that it can then be imported to Companies (File > Import > Text Delimted).

Here is an article with the steps for importing a CSV file: KB Article 15208

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks Greg.

I purchased the Company Wizard and seems to do what I want within ACT. ie establish a company record from my contacts, when there wasn't one and link my contacts to it. One has to be carefull I suppose that the company record is correct as within a company there maybe inconsistances across the many contacts ie different addresses, telephones etc.

I am currently trying out the 2011 ACT on a 30 day trial, and I was trying to import my 2003 6.0 database.  It will only let me check contacts during the import.  Is there a trick to importing notes and other fields?

Thanks!

Hello BulteP,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Instead of importing your V6 database, you can open it directly in Act! 2011 and let it convert it into the new 2011 format (it will actually create a new database with your previous information - leaving your V6 database intact and usable in V6).

Here is an article with instructions for converting an previous version database: KB Article 26761

Note: you will want to run maintenance on your V6 database before starting the conversion.

Greg Martin
Sage