Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2013: When selecting calender, get error "Act! has encountered an error. Please Shutdown the application"

ACT! 2013: When selecting calender, get error "Act! has encountered an error. Please Shutdown the application"

Hi All,

I am currently running ACT! 2013 Premium (Web)  Version 15.0.301.0 in a stand alone configuration (only one database and user). The system is  Win 7 Pro running SP1. The system has 10GB memory (over 9GB usable) and a 1TB drive. I have 325 contacts in the DB. I back up and run DB maintenance  daily at noon using the ACT Scheduler. I currently have one smart task step on the task list. I have ACT! configured to start at my contact record.

The install has been running flawlessly for six months. I do have it syncing with Outlook, both calendar and contacts. Nothing has changed in the system except the usual MS updates, and the last one of those was a week ago and the system has been rebooted a couple times and ACT! restarted a few times since then.

This morning, I rebooted the system. I then started ACT! and selected the calendar. When I did that, I received the error ""Act! has encountered an error. Please Shutdown the application." 

I restarted ACT! and found I could switch from contact detail to Contact List view with no problem. I also found I could move from Contacts to Groups, or Task List, or even connctions without an error. However, if I go from any of these to Calendar, I would get the above error. I also found if I brute forced my way to the calendar I would get a "squashed up" view of the calendar (about 1/4th the size it normally is with appropriate text wrapping).

I tried rebootting the machine several times to no avail. I also performed reindexing and deleting some old information. None of these helped. I also tried removing the Outlook calendar and contact syncing. This did not solve the issue, either.

I found as long as I did not select Calendar all would work fine. If I select calendar, get the message, then stop ACT!, I would get two errors in the event viewer. These errors do not occur if I start ACT!, select Tasks or Groups, and then exit ACT!.

They are below:

Application Error:

Faulting application name: ActSage.exe, version: 15.0.301.0, time stamp: 0x502edd56

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17932, time stamp: 0x50327672

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0000c41f

Faulting process id: 0x1c74

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd02020df820f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Web\ActSage.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 879f9eb6-3c13-11e2-b01c-50e549d5e3bb

.NET Runtime error:

Application: ActSage.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.PersistenceException

Stack:

at System.Workflow.Runtime.WorkflowRuntime.StopRuntime()

at Act.Framework.Workflow.WorkflowManager.Dispose(Boolean)

at Act.Framework.Security.GeneralManager.Finalize()

I have not found anything except someone having something similar switching from Contacts Detail View to Contacts List view.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Russ

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT! 2013: When selecting calender, get error "Act! has encountered an error. Please Shutdown the application"

Looks like your preferences got wacked.  Try this article to reset your ACT preferences.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21042/~/calendar-view-shows-all-mini-calend...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: ACT! 2013: When selecting calender, get error "Act! has encountered an error. Please Shutdown the application"

Thank you for the reply!

Your suggestion is a possibility.  I'm surprised I would get the event errors that were showing up in the event log if it were a pixel per inch issue (though with Windows, anything is possible).

After all the CHKDSK and other things I did last night,  this morning I started up in safe mode to see if I could go to an earlier restore point. However, I was called away on another issue. When I came back, I rebooted into regular Windows mode, and the problem seemed to have disappeared. No changes were made while in safe mode.

I have as yet to restart the Outlook integration. I may do that this evening. However, after pointing back to the original database (not the back up I resotred) and several re-boots and other things, seems to be working well.

Russ

Silver Contributor

Try just renaming the ACT folder in your appdata.  go to start, run, %appdata%  restart aCT, it should recreate. see if that resolves your issue.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider