Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2013 Server issue, need some advice, Can't open application on the server and Data base is not shared

ACT 2013 Server issue, need some advice, Can't open application on the server and Data base is not shared

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Hoping someone can help me out here.

Over the weekend the Anti-Virus on our server was changed from AVG to Eset, this was done by our outside managed services provider. This morning when we arrived in the office, all network access was blocked and we could not access the ACT data base.

After some inspection it turned out the windows firewall was turned on, and once that was turned off our network access was restored. However we are still unable to access our ACT Database.

When trying to connect to the database on a client machine, all users get the following error, (server and database names replaced for posting on this forum)

The "Server" computer was found but Sage ACT! cannot access the "SIM" database because it is not shared. Sharing the database on "Server" computer may resolve the issue.

So my next step was to open ACT on the server and try to share the database. When I try to open the application on the server it opens and hangs on a white screen. If you try to close the application via the X the program says it is not responding and I am give the options to close. As a side note the server is Windows server 2012 (win 8 environment)

I then checked the SQL services to make sure they were all running, and even stopped and restarted them to be sure with no luck.

The next step I tried was to uninstall and re-install the application, but once re-installed it still just hangs on start-up.

Any thoughts?

Also right now the Eset antivirus and firewalls are all disabled.

Re: ACT 2013 Server issue, need some advice, Can't open application on the server and Data base is not shared

Well looks like we have found the issue, and I thought I would post back here for anyone else with the issue in the future.

During the install of the antivirus, the install crashed and it caused the ACT licensing file to become corrupt. 

After the Licensing file was rebuilt we were able to access the database once again.