Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2013 SP1HF4 on Win8.0 Outlook 2007 create email error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Accepted Solution Solved
JM
Nickel Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2013 SP1HF4 on Win8.0 Outlook 2007 create email error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It used to work clicking on the Contact record email field to have Outlook generate email message, but now I can't even after uninstall and reinstall of ACT! and doing the Office detect and repair and even Answer ID 14770 How to rebuild the Preferences File.  I wonder if I should upgrade to Office 2013 since most of my passed history of issues seem to relate to Office 2007?

I can't find the article how to completely remove ACT! then reinstall.

JM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JM
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT! 2013 SP1HF4 on Win8.0 Outlook 2007 create email error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I found the cause of Drag and Drop of files onto ACT's Documents Tab and the attempt to Email from an attached file or clicking on an email field to have Outlook open a new message.  The tip off in Google searches was other Windows 7 apps Drag and Drop would not work.  I have played around and rebooted and ran other apps and even had no problems using the Win8 Start Tiles.  

I hope Swiftpage sees this and can address the problem in future Hotfix to accept User Account Control (UAC) not in a complete state of disabled but set to the lowest security level.

I am running Windows 8.1 with latest updates, Office 2007 SP3, ACT Premium 2013 SP1 HotFix4 (V15.1.108.0).

There are are warnings when changing Windows registery so perform a backup of ACT databases, create a Windows registery Restore Point.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane look for EnableLUA and modify its value to 0. Close regedit.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to encourage people to ditch UAC or even to use this method. Peeps who disable UAC are expected to know their way around

Setting the EnableLUA to 0 will make all metro apps stop working until you set it back to and restart the computer.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5509-user-account-control-uac-change-settings-windows-8-a.html

JM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2013 SP1HF4 on Win8.0 Outlook 2007 create email error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

JM - I wouldn't upgrade to Office 2013 but preferably office 2010.

Act! 2013 is not compatible with Office 2013.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Elite Contributor

Hey there,

Just a few other things you may wish to check on:

This error can occur if your Windows DPI setting is greater than 96. For information on adjusting your DPI, please see the following Knowledgebase article: 26349

If you have changed the DPI settings then you may need to rebuild your preferences after changing the DPI settings back to 96, as per the article 14770 you have already looked at.

You may also want to try opening ACT by running it As Administrator. Right click on the Sage ACT icon and select "Run As Administrator" from the menu. (Please note, you can not do this from the pinned icon in the task bar, must be done from desktop icon or programs menu)

You may also want to make sure you've got the program, SQL and port exceptions in your Antivirus and windows firewall, refer to this KB for the list of exceptions: 25125 as sometimes this can interfere with certain actions. It's always best to have them added anyway.

You said that it was working previously, have there been any software changes since it stopped working? Or has everything remained the same software wise?

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
JM
Nickel Contributor

Cherie,

Yes I have done all you pointed out and more.  Interesting on my Toshiba P75 the Win8.0 Advanced display setting no longer states a DPI 96 rather your three bullet choices which out of the box was set to Medium 120%. I had to knock it down to Smaller 100%.

I knew all this because I also run Hamachi VPN supporting my ACT! Network Sync.  To top off the complexity of my setup I now have working a remote sync PC running on XP Pro SP3 which I found Hot Fix to correct/added LLTD Responder network TCPIP protocal that allows Windows7/8 PC's to see an XP/Vista PC with same Workgroup name.

"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/409fb2fa-8eb8-45af-b063-4f50f5a77b29"

I use TrendMicro Max Security 2014 which Swiftpage should update screen shots in KB for the steps to added into the exclusion list, and Windows7/8 Firewall steps which are a little different as well.

I have a feeling it was one of the Microsoft Updates that is the cause but I have moved so far forward installing and setting up things I can't go back in time to a register recovery point.

I am running all the Toshiba Service Station updates then do update to Win8.1 before I reinstall Office and ACT! because you will need 8.1 installed to maintain futreu SP/Hotfixes. Might as well since 8.1 does do a bit of changes that may require certain apps to be reinstalled.

XXXMyFingers after the 8.1 update and reinstall Office2007 then ACT! my silly problem of sending email form ACT! using Outllok works again.

JM

Bronze Super Contributor

I updated my Toshiba Laptop to W8.1 and have had no problems!

ACT! working perfectly and integrating with Outlook 2010 too. Maybe I'm just lucky with no need to reinstall.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
JM
Nickel Contributor

dshaw111,

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Windows 8.0 is bad because I had ACT! working as well and was even able to recreate ACT preferences because my laptop DPI was pre set at 120% which is over 96DPI (100%) whihc generated that ACT! error.  

I'm no longer able to reset Preferences do to either later on I made changes to get my Win 8 PC over VPN to see the remote XP Pro PC setting the Folder Security/Shares/Firewall, some other apps installed or changed, and/or my running JV16 register cleaner.  its odd if this ACT! error is just a corrupt Preferences why it no longer helps when I reset it.  

Even after an uninstall/re-insall of ACT! I can't solve this error when generating the email message.  Which I asked in earlier post where is the KB or Answer ID that showed how to completly remove ACT! (in registries) which run a EXE/BAT to cleans.

JM

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi jm,
Try this:
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19338/kw/Act%20uninstaller
Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
JM
Nickel Contributor

It does not refer to 2013 but I think it's installation is same as 2012, safe bet to try this?
Have not tried it yet because this stupid MS Store to get win8.1 to download is stopping half way and restarting. Why did they remove the save as in any folder method I will not understand.
JM
Copper Elite Contributor

Yeah, same. Just make sure you get the appropriate uninstaller.

Microsoft can certainly be tiresome sometimes. (A lot of times)

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
JM
Nickel Contributor

Well sorry to say the comprehensive ACT! uninstall did not help the error when I try to email from ACT.

It can't be a corrupt Preferences so what else prevents Outlook/Act to open up new email?

On day three (third try) waiting for higher level Microsoft support Rep to call back to figure out why MS Store stops after 49% downloading and restarts.