Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2013 Registration files get corrupt after a Windows 8.1 big update

JM
Nickel Contributor

ACT 2013 Registration files get corrupt after a Windows 8.1 big update

It has happened again my ACT! 2013 SP1 HF4 (15.1) loosing Registeration Serialization and not able to insert and renew it. The 4th time in a year after I reboot the PC's to complete the install of updates that Microsoft for XP, Windows 7 PC and Windows 8.1. This time updates on 4/9/14 and 4/12/14 knocks ACT! out from starting right up without it asking to register my ACT which I can't because even after inserting S/N it comes back 0 days left for trail, try again.

I refer to Answer ID 13727on how to deal with two license key files gettng corrupt.

Located on Windws8.1 C:\ProgramData>

KGxGaAvL.sys

And instead of D8050401DS.sys for Windows 8.1 its 587F4CECEE.sys

One time even closing Antivirus and Firewall, stop the PROTEXIS LICENSING V2 service, rename the files to OLD did not help. I had to unstalll Protexis and reinstall it .

Just wondering if others are seeing same problem on ACT 2013 and or if higher ACT verison.

JM

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT 2013 Registration files get corrupt after a Windows 8.1 big update

Yep, I have seen the same problem with ACT! 2013 SP1 once the HF4 has been installed. :-(

Copper Contributor

I as well have the same issue. After installing HF4 I'm unable to enter my activation code and my files are missing " KGyGaAvL.sys" file and the "D8050401D2.SYS" . How were you able to fix it?
JM
Nickel Contributor

I have learned there are three ways to get past the License issue:

1. Open up Windows 8.x Task Manager, go to Service Tab, click on Name Column to sort them, then click on P so you jump to the PSI_SVC_2 (Protexis Licensing V2) service, righ click on it, Select Restart, then open ACT again see if the request to register is gone.

2. If #1 fails you may only need to do this one in a Blue Moon if the two files get corrupted by Who knows why?

Follow #1 Steps but STOP the service not restart.

Open Windows File Manager (Explorer) make sure the options to show all types of files are checked.

There is the View Tab to select then to the right an Options Button that will bring up the Folder Options and within that select the View tab to check bullets or boxes to get all file types to display.

Now Open Folder C:\ProgramData> scroll to bottom to see two SYS file type files.  Not everyones ACT install creates the same file name so don't delete SYS files just rename the extension name to .OLD.  It should be obvious which two your looking for.

Mine are KGyGaAvL.sys and 587F4CECEE.sys

Now go back to service and Start it back up then Start ACT!

3. If #2 does not help you need to uninstall and reinstall the Protexis Licensing service which should not bother your ACT installation.  FYI I just Do #1 all the time it works and is faster. Its possible after a reinstall of Protexis your issue will not pop up again unlike for me it was good for a few months but then the licensing request came back.

I can't say for sure if Protexis gets messed up after Windows does an update and or if this only happens on Win 8.1 not 8.0, but since MS is making 8.1 the standard form this point on just install 8.1 to get the current supported OS.

How may you ask to reinstall below is the KB article with the file you need to download and run:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23027

If my above info needs correction let me know so I can edit it for future ACT users.

JM

I go through this every 2 or 3 weeks now, occasionally it happens twice in one week - Act loses registration and I go through the steps of stopping protexis, deleting the 2 protexis files, restarting protexis and it will work again... until next time.

This never happened until after installing Hotfix 4, which I had hoped would fix some other bugginess.  I'm not seeing any improvement in anything.

I am really frustrated by this - and in addition, I am also having issues with Act not respionding - I can open Act on the server, but I cannot open it in a browser (it never gets anywhere and eventually times out).  I think this happened once before Hotfix 4, but happens frequently since installing Hotfix 4.  I have not found a reliable way to recover from this short of rebooting the server (which is my webserver, so obviously I don't like to do this all the time!)

I don't think it matters which OS, since I am running Act on a Windows 2008 Server.

Does anyone know if there's a way to uninstall a hotfix?

ACT - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!  There needs to be a fix for this.  My salespeople are out of business when the registration fails - this is a serious flaw in the program and it is obviously tied to Hotfix 4.

JM
Nickel Contributor

You can't uninstall HF4 because your DB has been modified to that rev.

Meaning even if you uninstall ACT then install rev.1 and apply HF3 that version can't open a DB tha was running HF4.

By now your backup of DB when HF3 days is way old.

Last option but takes lot of work is to recover old rev., run 3rd party MergeAdmin to take the exported data from HF4 DB and bring into Old Rev.  you will losse any Relationships defined, may need another 3rd party app to bring New into old DB the History records......

For now if anyone does not report issue in ACT! 2015 that's the way to go.

Or try my #1 and just create shortcut or step for Sales Rep's to do Restart the service.  

Remove the two file properties of Read-Only to see if Restart is enough.

JM

Thank you for replying JM, even though it was bad news.  Smiley Sad

I cannot let my sales reps "fix" this because they only have browser access to ACT - I cannot give them full access to my webserver, so they don't have the abiity to stop/restart services, etc. and honestly, this is not an answer for a program I bought BECAUSE it gives browser access to the program.

I have only had APFW for 1 year - I should not have to pay for an upgrade this soon JUST TO GET SOFTWARE THAT WORKS (ACT ARE YOU LISTENING???)

Again JM - thanks for your reply and ideas, I am angry at ACT, not you.