Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT!2012 not showing up in installed software list on XP

Tuned Listener

ACT!2012 not showing up in installed software list on XP

I am trying to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of ACT!2012 on a Windows XP machine but ACT! does not even show up in the list of programs within the "Add or Remove Programs" list.  Any thoughts?

This type of stuff is very, very frustrating and I suspect that this is more of an OS issue. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT!2012 not showing up in installed software list on XP

It's there, Look for Sage ACT!.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I got too darn frustrated earlier and went down the path of removing ACT! manually ........ however, prior to manually uninstalling it, ACT! did not show up as ACT! or Sage ACT! in the list of programs.  Very strange.

I uninstalled ACT! manually, reinstalled it and now it does not show up in the Start/All Programs menu.  I am pretty sure that the computer gods do not like me right now.  At this point, I am cursing quite a bit and my frustration has reached its limit.  My new plan is to start fresh ......... as in start from scratch by reinstalling the OS.  This is drastic, but quite frankly, considering the amount of frustration that ACT! has caused me over the past couple of weeks - and all of my lost productivity - I should have done this 3 weeks ago.  Hind sight is 20/20 as they say.

I suspect that some of my frustration is also a result of the Microsoft OS, but I am not smart enough to know what is OS related and what is ACT! related.  I just know that the end result is that ACT! is giving me gray hairs and high blood pressure.

So, in closing, please consider this a dead thread as I am just going to start over from the OS installation and move on from there.

Ouch, that's painful. One last thing, check the desktop to see if there's an ACT! icon.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

With XP, I liked to backup the data, wipe the machine and reinstall clean (plus all updates) every 6-9 months.

XP used to retain a lot of crap when the OS or apps were changed/updated.

Doing a Nuke and Pave on a system that's been in use for a while can really impress with additional speed and reliability
Tuned Listener

Reinstalling the OS, etc. is painful, but considering how much time I have lost over the past few weeks, I could have saved myself a lot of time and grief if I just did that from the start.  That is looking back though ...... if someone would have suggested that at the beginning, I would have been very skeptical of the advice as, I very much dislike what I call the "all too standard Microsoft response" of "just reinstall everything".

I plan on moving from Windows XP to Windows 7 [32-bit].  I hope (I really, really, really hope) that Windows 7 will minimize some of the issues that I have with ACT! that are OS related.  I am not sure how everything else will migrate forward and I will just have to give it all a try.  I use the following in conjunction with ACT!2012:

1. Lotus Notes v8.5.2.  My company is a Lotus Notes shop.  We use it for way more than email and calendaring and that is not going to change. 
  2. Office 2010
  3. CompanionLink v5 to sync ACT! to my Android phone
  4. ESRI's BusinessMAP.  I do not think that this mapping program was "supported" after ACT!2008 or ACT!2009, but it still works with ACT!2012.  They stopped making this stand alone program which is too bad - now it is a monthly service and is way more expensive than the stand alone program.  Plus, I do not have Internet access on my laptop when I am driving around so it is not a viable solution.
Bronze Super Contributor

I've found that the Microsoft Cleanup Utiltity can help in these cases. However, MS have pulled it after it was found it caused some problems with MSO2010 (from memory). You might be able to google it and read up, make sure the bad consequences won't affect you, then google and find a download, try it...