Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2012 Premium problems after upgrading from ACT! 2009 Premium.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2012 Premium problems after upgrading from ACT! 2009 Premium.

I’m a computer tech who has just been tasked to resolve this problem.  A little background on what occurred previously:  a couple months ago 4 computers were upgraded from ACT 2009 Premium to ACT 2012 Premium.  After the upgrade, ACT only works on 1 of the computers.  The 4 computers meet the systems requirements I found on line.  Here is a breakdown of the problems:

Computer 1 (Win7, 32 bit) after entering user id & password to connect to the existing database a PEP or product enhancement program message pop-up appeared and the program would freeze.  I found another post where a user had this exact problem.  He solved the problem by using a wireless connection to bypass his company’s proxy (I can’t do this).  I contacted our network person and he tried tweaking the proxy.  Now I no longer get the pop up window but ACT seems to be frozen at the home page for the database.  I see menu options, etc. but nothing responds when I click on it.

Computers 2 & 3 (both Win XP) never had the PEP pop up problem but they are frozen at the home page as well.  I see menu options, etc. but nothing responds when I click on it.

Computer 4  (Win 7  64 bit 8 GB RAM) ACT works on this PC without a problem.

Does anyone have any advice on how to resolve these issues?  Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2012 Premium problems after upgrading from ACT! 2009 Premium.

Hello MDCTech,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. When you say it's freezing at the "home page", can you clarify - is the splash screen (product screen) or the Welcome Page? If the welcome page, then see this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2262...

If the PEP popup is causing issues, you should be able to get rid of it by deleting the PEP files from the ACT! program directory.
32-bit machines: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT For Windows
64-bit machines: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Windows

Ensure ACT! is closed, then delete or rename these files from the program directory:
Sage.PEP.Client.dll
Sage.PEP.Environment.dll
Sage.PEP.Environment.Interface.dll

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Have you tried running the ACT! demo database locally on the problem computers?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for the quick response.

The ACT! demo database ran on the 2 XP machines.  FYI, the database opened up on 1 of the XP computers (I had to wait 7 minutes but it did eventually open).

The ACT! demo database would not open on the Win7 pc.  I got this error message "The database cannot be opened because it has been upgraded to a newer version of SQL Server.  Please contact your administrator for assistance."

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello MDCTech,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. When you say it's freezing at the "home page", can you clarify - is the splash screen (product screen) or the Welcome Page? If the welcome page, then see this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2262...

If the PEP popup is causing issues, you should be able to get rid of it by deleting the PEP files from the ACT! program directory.
32-bit machines: C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT For Windows
64-bit machines: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\ACT for Windows

Ensure ACT! is closed, then delete or rename these files from the program directory:
Sage.PEP.Client.dll
Sage.PEP.Environment.dll
Sage.PEP.Environment.Interface.dll

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello ghollister,

FYI, I followed the instructions on the link you provided and this resolved the problem on all 3 computers.  Thank you so much for all your help!!