Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 Premium Problems

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT 2012 Premium Sync Problems

[ Edited ]

Oh I had that issue a couple weeks ago - it was trying to sync over 2 million files - of course it kept hanging - I eventually found a Trojan in some old files of my main database. It, the Trojan, was attached to an ACT7 file.

After we got rid of the Trojan some other weird stuff was happening - data was mysteriously changing.

It took me a while to isolate the machine that was causing the problem once I did I re-installed her Act 2012 and it fixed the changing data problem.

Then she couldn't sync that's when I removed the older SQL files. Everything working good now.

Well, almost everything - our calendars are still goofy.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The issue with the large number of sync files and subsequent hanging of sync at the database files is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. While the root cause is still being determined, we have published a Knowledgebase article with a batch file that resets the sync tables and allows for normal sync. So far, we have identified two events that trigger the issue in a sync environment:

- Editing or deleting non-attachment supplemental files (queries, reports, templates, layouts, dashboards)

- Some MS Office products (primarily Word) create temp files when they are opened. Then those temp files are deleted when the document is closed. These deletes are logged for sync and subsequently trigger the issue.

After these events, there is a delete record created, which will double each time there is a sync (8, 16, 32, 64). The sync table will continue to grow in size until sync slows to a crawl. You will see hundreds or thousands of records trying to sync, even though the number of files in the supplemental files folder has not physically increased. Running the batch file in the when this occurs will reset the table.

Here is a link to the Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2829...

We are currently working on an update to resolve this issue. When more information regarding a timetable and a resolution is available, it will be posted in this forum. If you have any additional information regarding this issue you would like to share, please post it in this thread. Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Don't you think they should still rule out Trojan behavior?  

Our large file problem was resolved by removing a Trojan from an ACT stored file on the main database machine, and by re-installing a corrupted ACT12 program a remote machine.  

It's worth a look - rather than waiting around for a KB article solution.

I didn't get a solution from escalating with ACT Tech support - they never did get back to me.

I found my solution on my own. 

Just sayin'.  

Copper Contributor

We use Microdoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware on all the workstations; McAfee and MalewareBytes' on the Server. Full scans have bee run and no detections were found. I think we can rule this out now.

I'll try the batch filew and let you know what happens.

For now, I've chosen to delete all the remote databases and have everyone connect directly instead. It's not ideal but I don't currently have the time to troubleshoot this issue and business must go on, whether or not ACT sync cooperates.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for providing the script file - that did the trick. Unfortunately the problem starts to build up again with time, therefore the script will have to be run again periodically.

I've noticed that since running the batch file provide, synced templates now append date/time to the file name - arguably annoying. Is this perhaps linked?

Once a formal fix is available I will allow users to have remote databases again. For now we wait....

Copper Contributor

Could this be the root cause of my other sync issues as well? (

EXAMPLE:

• Document template file names being appended with ACT!SYNCFILE at the beginning of the file name
  • Document template file names being appended with DATE / TIME (sometimes duplicated twice) at the end of the file name
  • Document template files being duplicated many times over
  • Document template files being duplicated with content removed (e.g., file size 0kb)

I have tried:

1. Running DB Repair; Rebuild, etc... on both publisher and remote DBs
  2. Renaming/reorganizing files in template folder on all DBs to make they are all exact replications before sync
  3. Rereating all template documents from scratch

However; as soon as I perform a single sync on any RDB the duplicating, renaming, deleting content issue raises it's ugly head.

Is this related to the overall sync issue you are working on?

Avid Listener

I have been told that this is a problem that was caused by not installing a particular HF several versions ago. I was told that the only way to fix it was to create a whole new database and import the data. I completed that, and it did, in fact solve the problem of appending the templates with date/time. Be aware though that if you have a highly custom database with lots of custom fields, you are looking at a lot of work.

David C. Noe

Avid Listener

Greg-

Are we any closer to a solution on this issue. The patch has helped somewhat, but it is not the solution. I am also concerned that the longer this goes on, the harder it will be to do the initial sync.

David C. Noe

Copper Elite Contributor

Leads to the question,...

Why does that average peson have to mess with this? I didn't realize that I had to become a "programmer" to run my CRM.

Platinum Elite Contributor

David,
This issue will be addressed in updates to 2011 and 2012, which we are targeting for release in the next couple of weeks. I will post an update in this forum when these become available. Is the automated batch file from the KB article helping?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.