Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2012 Help - How to restrict a contract\temp sales person from taking contacts if they leave?

ACT! 2012 Help - How to restrict a contract\temp sales person from taking contacts if they leave?

We have a few contract sales people.  If we do not keep them on board at the end of the process, then we are afraid they may take our account and contacts from ACT.  What is the best way to prevent this from happening as it relates to restrictions inside the application?  I don't want them to be exportable.  Also, I think we are using the Outlook Sync tool, so then does that mean he would have them there and no matter what restrictions we put into the ACT environment, that he'll still have the other ones?

Please help.  This is a bit time sensitive as we think one of the contract people will be leaving soon.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2012 Help - How to restrict a contract\temp sales person from taking contacts if they leave?

When you get right down to it there isn't any way to stop someone if they really want the data because they coud write the data down from what they have on the screen. My best suggestion is the night before you informa them they are terminated, invalidate they user login to the dataqbase.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: ACT! 2012 Help - How to restrict a contract\temp sales person from taking contacts if they leave?

There are thousands of records and obviously, they aren't likely to write down thousands of records. The question is tied to whether or not there is a way to set security so that they cannot export to Excel or Outlook, but still allowing them access to the contacts and accounts within.

Also, we're not informing anyone that they are terminated, the concern is if 'they' leave and decide to first take the contacts. There are different levels of security and I'm not sure which is the most appropriate.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! program is all about connectivity. Yes you can disable some of the connectivity but then you seriously limit the capabilities. By the way you overlooked one of the easiest ways to steal the database, make a backup copy.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Your only way to even have a chance of keeping them (notice I did not say "preventing") from stealing your database is with a non-compete.  But even they are not a sure thing.  You cannot terminate a salesman and tell him in a non compete that he can't sell.  What you can do is let them know that you are prepared to legally hound them to the ends of the earth if your data is misused.   You will will positively need legal help to get a decent non compete.

Of course if your selling nuts and bolts and they leave to sell sandpaper, probably not too much damage ther.