Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 on Vista giving XP error

Bronze Elite Contributor

ACT 2011 on Vista giving XP error

I am trying to install ACT 2011 Premium on a Vista Pro machine fully MS patched. I am getting a message that I must have XP SP3 installed and the installations aborts. This was always a Vista machine so any thoughts would be welcome.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 on Vista giving XP error

Hello ch1p,

First, try the suggested solution in Knowledgebase article 26077. If that does not resolve then try this:

*This process disables the system checker so the operating system will not be verified

- If installing from a DVD, then create a new folder on the root of your C: drive and copy the entire contents of the DVD to that

- If installing from a download, then browse to the download folder on your C: drive

- Open the folder, and browse the Dependencies directory. In this directory, locate the folder called PreReq and rename it to PreReqOLD

- Go back to the ACTSTD or ACTWG folder, open it and run the setup.exe file to install

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Greg

Disc already copied to C: Drive. Checked compatability mode and this was not ticked.

Renamed dependancy folder, re-booted andd still getting the error message.

Any other thoughts?

Regards

Chip

Bronze Elite Contributor

Think I now know where this error is coming from. Vista is changing the installation mode at the time of running the install.

Will try to fix tomorrow.

Hi Greg;

Did you get this problem resolved?  I'm trying to install ACT Pro 2013 on my Vista laptop and having the same problems.  Following suggetsion in article 26077 and the other suggestions do not help.

Regards,

John

Bronze Elite Contributor

When I had this problem Vista had changed the installation mode to XP compatibility. The problem with this is that it had changed it to XP SP2 and ACT needs XP SP3. I simply right clicked on the ACT icon, selected properties, then compatibility and changed it back to VIsta under change for all users and also added run as administrator.

This does not help.  There is not ACT icon until after the software is installed.  I can't get it installed.  When I run setup.exe (which is not checked to run in Win XP compatibility mode), it runs InstallShield Wizard which reports the problem that the install is being done under Windows XP compatibility mode.

Aussie_Jo, did you ever get ACT! 2013 to install? The kd article re 26077 does not help. I don't even have Vista - have Windows
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Carl,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Your message may have been cut off: "I don't even have Vista - have Windows".  What version of Windows do you have (XP, Vista, 7, 8)?

If it is XP, check to see if Service Pack 3 has been installed.  To do this:

- right click on My Computer icon > select Properties

- General tab > System: > will show OS and service packs applied

Greg Martin
Sage

I have Windows 7