Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Premium Office 2010 Merges fail on Terminal Server

ACT 2011 Premium Office 2010 Merges fail on Terminal Server

Terminal Server users cannot perform mail merge using ACT 2011 Premium and Office 2010. Running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP 2

• Admin account can perform merge with no problem.
  • User account can perform merge on initial account creation, but not subsequent logins.
  • All Word documents will only open in read only mode.
  • Global Template is locked, in order to close Word must select Don't Save -- Save and Cancel won't do anything.

All non-terminal server users have no problem with ACT, either with Office 2003 or Office 2010 on their desktops. Have SQL Server sharing all ACT databases.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Have completely wiped the system and reinstall OS, Office and ACT (multiple times). Have followed steps located at: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1527...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Toby

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Premium Office 2010 Merges fail on Terminal Server

Do File, Save as on hte database or a restore as from backup, that will fix it.. If you want to keep the same database name. do the folowing.  NOTE: if you're not comfortabe contactc an ACT consultant.  If you have sync databases, you may need to recreate.

1) do a full backup of the database

2) from aCT diag, detach the databasae.

3) move the detached database (alf. adf and supplemental files folder to a nother location so you can restore the backup to the current locaiton)

4) Open ACT, File, REstore, Restore AS. restore the database using hte original name to the same location.

This should fix it.

why it happens?  don't know, but we have seen it about 3-4 times.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

No go.

I even tried installing SQL server locally on the Terminal Server and restoring database locally.

Problem is with the ACT plugin for Office. If I start Word normally, I cannot initiate a mail merge. If I start Word with addins disabled, I can initiate the mail merge.

Any other thoughts??

Platinum Elite Contributor

It may be one of the add-ins in particular that is affecting the mail merge. Have you tried testing disabling the Word add-ins one at a time?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Word Addins (2): ACT! Documents Tab Add-in & ACT! Office Addin

• ACT! Office Addin does NOTaffect Word's mail merge.
  • ACT! Documents Tab Addin DOES affect Word's mail merge

ACT's ability to perform mail merge does not change with any combination of enabled/disabled.

Just can't perform mail merge from ACT!