Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 - Outlook 2010 calendar sync not bring over contact name - sync to iPhone useless

ACT! 2011 - Outlook 2010 calendar sync not bring over contact name - sync to iPhone useless

We just upgraded to ACT! 2011 Premium from ACT! 2010. I was very excited about the new Outlook calendar and contact syncing features in ACT! 2011. I was hoping to be able to ditch CompanionLink to sync my ACT contacts and calendar to my iPhone (via iTunes to Outlook syncing).

Unfortunately, when the ACT! 2011 syncs the calendar to Outlook, there is no reference link to the associated contact, therefore, the my iPhone calendar only shows the activity info, date and time, but I no contact name. Without the contact name, I know that I have an appointment or call to make, but I don't know who with. That makes the ACT! 2011 to Outlook sync feature pretty much useless.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Bud James

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 - Outlook 2010 calendar sync not bring over contact name - sync to iPhone useless

There is no way around it... you're also likely to end up causing duplicates or losing data ... it's not not good to go via Outlook to a mobile phone.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/05/getting-act-on-your-phone.html
Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 - Outlook 2010 calendar sync not bring over contact name - sync to iPhone useless

[ Edited ]

I agree, the new way ACT! syncs its calendar is poorly thought out. The Contact info is shown - it is now under the scheduling tab in Outlook. I have the same issue with my Android phone.

The easiest workaround I have found is to simply copy the Contact name into the Regarding field of your activity. So a "Meeting"  now becomes "Meeting with Wiley Coyote". Or stick the Company details in if that makes more sense... "Meeting with Acme Machines".

Not a solution I know but it sure beats outlaying more money for add-ons.

Regards Brett

Brett Merriman
ACT! Certified Consultant
Action CRM

It's the the way ACT! syncs, Brett... Outlook doesn't have specific fields for that information

Doing it the way you suggest isn't good for real ACT! users as they don't get the History properly associated with their contacts ... especially when done on the phone

It looks like I'm stuck with going back to Companionlink Pro until HandHeld Contacts for iPhone is ready for real. I just learned about 123Synchronize as a competitor to CompnanionLink. Does anyone have experience with this program? Cheers. Bud

What do you mean "ready for real"?

I found 123sync to be more reliable than CompanionLink in the testing I did ... but it can be a bit more complex to set up and I suggest getting help from a consultant to do it for you
Copper Super Contributor

Mike,

"Doing it the way you suggest isn't good for real ACT! users as they don't get the History properly associated with their contacts... especially when done on the phone"

Firstly Mike, what is a "real" ACT! user?

Secondly, why don't they get the History properly associated with their Contact?

And where does he say that doing it on the phone is a priority?

All my suggestion requires is two or three more words of typing. Everything else is as per a normal activity. Even when created in Outlook it still works.

And Mike... this is also the way that Sage suggest you show who the activity is with... \

Brett Merriman

Brett Merriman
Action CRM

Real ACT! users ... the ones who care about their history being correct or they might as well stick to just Outlook.

I assume that most mobile staff want to be able to create and clear activities on their phones ... BTW: are you also copying the address and phone numbers to the Activity? If not, it's quite a few more words of typing.

And Brett... while I'd never listen to a suggestion from Sage Australia, Sage have to suggest it because they provide no real way to sync to mobile phones like both CL and HHC have been doing for 10+ years.
Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike,

One should never assume. You know what thay say...

As to your other comments:

• I use a Samsung Galaxy S as my mobile phone and I do not have any add-ons installed on it for ACT! I also only use the native ACT!2011 sync system with Outlook 2003.
  • I sync my contacts to Outlook along with my calendar. My phone syncs with Outlook and naturally has the same contacts.
  • I just created an appointment on my phone calendar with a phone contact.
  • My phone synced and now Outlook sees the appointment.
  • ACT! synced and now ACT! sees the appointment... with the ACT! contact.
  • I changed the appointment in ACT! and it flowed down perfectly to my phone.
  • I then changed it again on the phone and it flowed perfectly back into ACT!.

How hard is that? And yes... with only TWO extra words of typing.

Whilst it is not perfect, it DOES work. The add-ins you talk about do offer some extra features over the basic structure from Sage however the best answer to a users query is not always to sell them an add-on. Those extra features are not always worth the extra costs. Such questions as "Do you need to incorporate custom phone number fields?" then maybe look at an add-on. "Can you get by with a few extra keystrokes" then that suggests just working differently to me.

Mike, I am a real ACT! user and I also do listen to Sage. I am sure there are a lot more out there like me.

Brett Merriman

Brett Merriman
Action CRM

I can show you sometime how easy is it to make certain changes the way you have it and either duplicate activities/contacts in ACT! or wipe all the activities.

How about creating an activity on the phone and clearing it? Where's the history?

You forgot other qualifications like:
Do you deal with international contacts or ever travel and want to dial? Sage's sync doesn't bring the country code
Do you clear the activity on the phone?

Sage Australia don't have anyone with any ACT! usability skills.