Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered. Here's a fix because Sage won't

ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered. Here's a fix because Sage won't

Please check the similarly named post to see if you have corrupted files.  If that is the problem this link, under Damaged Windows System File, gives the solution.  

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14245

This will happen numerous times and the problem won't go away, so here is a program I wrote to go through the steps of renaming the file.   Paste this into a notepad and save as ACTFix.bat

:: Start

:: Stop Protexis Licensing V2
sc stop PSI_SVC_2
:: remove READ ONLY, HIDDEN, and SYSTEM attributes
attrib C:\ProgramData\KGyGaAvL.sys -r -h -s
:: rename file so the extension is todays date
REN C:\ProgramData\KGyGaAvL.sys KGyGaAvL.%date:~-10,2%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-4,4%
:: assign READ ONLY, HIDDEN, and SYSTEM attributes to renamed file.
attrib C:\ProgramData\KGyGaAvL.%date:~-10,2%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-4,4% +r +h +s
:: restart Protexis Licensing V2
sc start PSI_SVC_2

:: Stop

This way my users can just run this file every time ACT has this registration issue.  Hope this helps.  Its not a permanent fix but it'll save you a few minutes and a lot of frustration.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered. Here's a fix because Sage won't

Be careful ... the location for KGyGaAvL.sys depends on the version of ACT! and the operating system.

Act 2013 Pro has a similar problem where you get stuck on the registration. I have spent many hours trying to find a solution and customer support has been terrible. There are no articles for this issue for the 2013 version and articles for the older versions do not seem to work.

WORKAROUND:

After losing many billable hours trying to fix ACT 2013 Pro I finally, in desperation, restored an old Windows restore point. It worked. I am using Windows 7 with a 64 bit operating system.

This annoying and costly programming weakness/error occurs on about a monthly basis. I now just restore a Windows restore point from a couple of days prior to the error and it fixes it for another month. One note, I use AVG anti-virus and I have to temporarily disable virus protection until the next restart when I restore the old Windows restore point. Otherwise, the restore fails.

So now I only lose about 30 minutes of my work time to the frustration that is Sage ACT 2013 Pro on a monthly basis.

Nickel Super Contributor

Bos,

This is why I like to turn off UAC during installations and registration.  It seems to help with these issues.  If you're not already doing this, you may want to give it a try.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion. ACT won't run properly with UAC on my computer so I keep it off. I would rather have it on all the time or at least most of the time because that seems like it would be safer.

Edit: 2-4-14  I use the ACT integration with Microsoft Outlook for sending email and for attaching email to ACT records. With UAC I was not able to initiate email from ACT by clicking the email icon. Turning off the UAC allowed the full email functionality.

Same problem t o day. 45 minutes and 1 windows system restore later it's working.

Sage, when are you going to fix this?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, I discovered the restore trick for my Act! Pro 2013 also, but it's not a handy fix.  I seem to have the problem when Windows 8 updates itself automatically while Act! is not running.  I now leave Act! on 24/7 and manually update Windows.  That has worked fine for about a week, when I had to restart my computer after an update, and now I'm back to the registration wizard - which will not let me register even with the correct serial number. Is there a file being modfied that is causing the problem?  If so, can  save it to another location and then copy it back over the modified file?  Or some other trick?