Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 Add Ins not functioning in Word (Office) 2010

ACT! 2011 Add Ins not functioning in Word (Office) 2010

[ Edited ]

I have just upgraded to ACT! 2011 and upgraded my Office 2003 to Office 2010.  I cannot create ACT! Templates from Word.  I also do not have an ACT! Tab in Word.  And when I save a quote it does not offer to save it in ACT! like it used to.

I have gone to Word, File, Options, Add Ins and manually tried to activate the two Inactive ACT! Add Ins.  Did not work.  The missing Add Ins are ACT! Documents Tab Add In and ACT! Office Add In.

I sat on the Sage Support Live Chat site for over an hour yesterday only to be told that they must be loaded in a particular order, Office 2010 first, then ACT! 2011.  UNinstall ACT! and then re-install it and it will find Word 2010 and work smoothly.  I uninstalled ACT! and re-installed it per instructions.  Still does not work.

There is another thread posted similar to this that is now closed because it was solved by some kind of Hotfix.  I clicked on the solution button and it merely showed me the last message that said solved.  So I don't know what that Hotfix was.

I am not an IT guru.  I am a pretty bright guy and read English very well.  HOWEVER, when you answer it is best to assume that I don't know "squat" about computers and be very specific.  The odds are good that I'll understand but I'd rather not waste either of our time because you think I know more than I do.  I'd rather be over informed than sit here and wonder what the heck you just told me to do and ask you to tell me again.  I am an Independent Contractor and as such I don't get paid when I'm dinking around with Software issues so the sooner I can fix this the better.

Any help you can supply will be appreciated.  THANK YOU!!

Greg

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Add Ins not functioning in Word (Office) 2010

Hello GABruce58,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The first quesion is: Is the integration with Outlook and Excel working?  If it is, the hotfix will not apply to you.

If the integration with Outlook is not working, you'll need to check the version of ACT! that is installed (Help > About ACT!).  If it has V13.1 (but not V13.1 Hotfix1) then applying the hotfix may resolve the issue.  For more details about the Hotfix please review the following article: KB Article 27440

If this does not resovle your issue, are you getting an error when you attempt to use MS Word as the template editor?  If yes, what is the message?

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thank you for the welcome.

Outlook: I can click an email address in ACT! and it opens Outlook to send the email.  I can access my ACT! contact list from Outlook.  So I would have to say it's working fine.

Excel: I don't really know how to answer that.  I use embedded Excel sheets in my Word Templates and those work fine.  So I'd have to say, yes.  However, I cannot activate the ACT! Tabs Add In in Excel.  I just tried.  I've been through all the menus/tabs and can't find anything.  I'm "assuming" that it would be a tab across the top called ACT!.  Right?

I am running Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0.  The article you reference also mentions an SP1 being added first.  Do I need to do that first?  Do I need to just go ahead with the Hotfix?

If I open an ACT! Template in Word, I can save it as a myriad of types of files but none of them are ACT! TEmplate .adt files.  That's not an option in the dropdown list.  So I've mistakenly "converted" three of my Templates to Word files that now do not show up in my list of Templates when writing quotes.  I need to re-create them.  I have "work arounds" but that's not right.  Clumsy at best, frustrating to be sure.

Should I try the Hotfix / SP1 installations?

Greg

Greg,

From the info you have provided - while the issue with Word is not addressed in the Hotfix, I do recommend applying it because you have the v13.1 (designation for SP1) build and it addresses some significant issues.

Since the issue is localized to MS Word, it appears something has disabled or is blocking the Act! add-in from loading.  Here is an article with instructions for checking the Word add-ins both through the Word program and the registry (and has other steps as well): KB Article 13569

Once the add-in is enabled, when you edit/create a new template in Word you should click on File > Save As - and the file type should be populated with the ADT extension.  As FYI - you can force Word to save a file with any desired extension by using double quotes around a fully qualified file name.  Ex: "New Template.adt".

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you, Greg.  I have copied both articles and will apply the Hotfix and then look into the other Issue as well.  I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your help!!

Greg

Greg,

I started doing the hotfix and it wants me to shut down a process that I either don't have running or there is a typo in the instructions.  I'm supposed to shut down process Act.Outlook.Sync.exe.  I only have Act.Outlook.Service.exe running.

Do I shut that one down or just go on because the Sync one is already shut down.  I sorted by process so ACT stuff should all be together.  But not trusting it, I still scanned the list and did not fid the Sync process.

Greg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Greg,
If you are still getting that message and you do not see the Act.Outlook.Sync service running, then try rebooting your computer, then going back into the task manager and see if it is there. If so, then end process on it and install the hotfix.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Okay, Greg.  I worked through both of those articles ... Added the Hotfix (it shows it's in now) as well as Enabling Add Ins, changing the Macro Security Settings, replacing the Normal.dot and checking for Invalid Registry Values.

I has not worked.  I'm where I was but with an updated ACT! program.  *grin*  One thing I DID find in the Registry when I went there, some 'anomalies.'  I was supposed to find "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ACTOfficeAddInconnect".  It wasn't there.  Instead there was a folder called ACT7.OfficeAddin and ACTOffice2007Addin.Connect.  I found the same anomalies under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ACTOfficeAddInconnect"

I had some minor issues with getting Outlook to load when I upgraded.  Nowhere does it tell you you can't run two versions of Outlook simultaneously.  After 4 hours with MS Tech Support we finally got Outlook 2003 completely removed so Outlook 2010 could load.  I'm wondering if I need to UNinstall ACT! again.  UNinstall Office 2010 completely.  Go into the Registry and remove all instances of Office & ACT! and re-install Office then re-install ACT! and the hotfix.  I'll be really torqued if I do that and it still won't work.  But those instances of ACT!2007 in my registry kind of worry me.  I thought about saving a copy of the the registry and then deleting those Addin references, then repairing Office again to see if they'll pick up the ACT! 2011.

All of this is conjecture on my part.  What do you suggest I try next?

Greg

Sorry for the confusion with the registry keys, you are seeing the correct add-ins (ACTOfficeAddInconnect is for Office 2003) - we will get the article updated.  You didn't mention - when looking at those keys, was the LoadBehavior set to 3 or something else?

If it is set to 3 and having followed the other steps in the article - what is the anti-virus software you are running?  Try disabling it and then test Word for the add-in.

Greg Martin
Sage

OKAY!!  I got so involved in the fact that the Registry Keys didn't match, I only checked the FIRST set of keys for the LoadBehavior Value.  It was set to 3.  So I failed to check the second set of Keys for that.  It was set to 2.  It is now set to 3 and when I open Word it loads the Add Ins.  It's slower than an old turtle, but we have solved part of the problem.

When I go to File>Options>Addins both the Tab Addin and the Office Addin are in the Active list.  I have an Addins Tab at the top of the page.  Inside that is an ACT! menu.  So far so good.  We seem to be half done.

I still cannot save a Word document as an adt file.  That is not in my "save as type" dropdown list.  You gave me a work-around of using the "Filename.adt" and that has restored my three converted Templates.  But I cannot create them.  I don't have to create them often and have a set list so this could very well be "operator error" and I'm 'doing it wrong.'  That's fixable, too.

I have another weird thing that happens sometimes and I hoped it would fix itself when ACT! and Word were communicating together.  And it may yet, if we get this other thing sorted, but once in a while, if I've opened a quote and need to make revisions and save it as a new name (R1, R2, etc.) Word will not save or save as.  I just get the loud "BONK" noise like when you've asked a program to do something it doesn't know how to.  Sorry that's a lousy explanation but I don't know how other to explain it.  It won't save or save as and just goes "BONK!"   I have to lose all the changes, re-open the original document and save it immediately and then re-change all my changes.  This doesn't happen EVERY time, but often enough that I am a very unhappy camper.  Are these things related?  I don't know.  It's probably a MS Word issue and I need to talk with them again.

So.  We're half done.  I have the Addin Tab now with the ACT! menu inside.  In the last version of ACT! and Word when I saved a Template as a quote, it would ask me if I wanted to attach it to the ACT! Contact's history.  This version doesn't do that.  At least it's not yet.  Even with the Addin tab.  I clicked on "Attach to ACT!" and nothing seems to have happened.  So I tried "Record History" and I get a pop up error message that says, "Could not connect.  The ACT! Application is not running."   Well, I have ACT! open.  It's always open.  I use it constantly.

I think that's enough for us to work on, Greg.  I really, really appreciate your helping me with this.  We have four other machines to set up and if I can help them miss some of these issues then that's a good thing.

Greg B.