Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Premium Slow Compared to Standard

ACT 2010 Premium Slow Compared to Standard

Hi All,

We have recently made our first investment in ACT! 2010 Premium, after running the 2010 Standard edition trial for a few weeks.  The Standard edition database was stored on our Windows Server 2003, and shared to LAN users, and it worked really well.  It was fast and responsive.

As we have a number of laptop users, we decided to buy the Premium edition and use the remote database feature.  The central database is still on our server, and is syncing with desktops and laptops connected via LAN, or over VPN when at home, and the syncing appears to be working fine.

The problem is the speed of general use.  It takes about 5 minutes to become responsive after logging in, and is taking maybe 30 seconds to change between Contacts or Companies.  All actions are very slow compared to our experience with the Standard version.

Weird thing is, on the client (for example my laptop), while ACT is locked up, there is no great CPU utilization (which is around 10%) and the memory seems fine, plenty of RAM in there which is not being used.  The machine isn't swapping to its page file, in fact the hard drive light is not solidly lit, most of the time while the delay is in progress, the hard disk light is out.

I can't quite work out where the problem lies.  Could it be related to having upgraded from the Standard Edition to the Premium Edition?  I would have thought the Remote Database, essentially being a local copy of the database, would fly compared to over the network sharing.  Are Remote Databases naturally or usually slower?

The only difference between the installations is the clients are using SQL Server Express which ACT installed, where the Server was already running the standard SQL Server, which ACT has tacked on to.  Could this have an impact?

Everybody's running:

ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 2

Client - WinXP, Core Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Avast Virus Scaner, Office 2003

Server - VMWare, Win2K3, 2 procs, 3GB RAM

Any thoughts at all or things I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 Premium Slow Compared to Standard

Hello lukekenny,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Just for clarification, are the local remote databases running slower as well as the shared database on the client machines? Also, have you added program and port exceptions to Avast for both ACT! and SQL Server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig, thanks for your response.  I think I've sorted it out.  It appeared to be a conflict with my virus scanner, which I have reinstalled, and everything seems OK now.  It's strange, as other computers in the office are running the same setup, and did not experience the problems I have.  Either way, reinstall of Avast fixed it.

For anyone else experiencing this problem, clients connected directly as a shared database were running fine, and no port exceptions other than the standard windows firewall "Unblock" has been used.

Hello;I am new here and i wanted to ask you about top ten best antiviruses http://www.best-antivirus.co/

have you heard about it?what is your opinion?

have a nice day