01-15-2013 12:26 PM
First time poster here, be gentle!
I work for a company that uses ACT! 2010 Premium Version 220.127.116.11 Hotfix 1 via an on-site server with the following specs:
Dell PowerEdge T610
-CPU: X5550 2.66Ghz, XDN, 95w
-HD Space: 544GB
We currently use 7 licenses for across 7 PC's using XP with the following specs (there are a few varying differences but nothing too crazy) :
-CPU: E5300 2.6GHz
Our problem: When a user is changing a field/moving a field/entering data/importing on ACT!, our other users experience input lag and hanging when trying to use ACT!. I've asked for the opinion of a friend of mine who has used ACT! extensively and he says it's not a server/end user issue. Can anyone else offer any insight?
01-15-2013 01:37 PM
Bumping for more questions and good faith in humanity!
1. Can names of pads be changed?
2. Can export/import take place if pad is identical?
3. How can I delete large amounts of records? (and is there a way to sort them by category)
4. Is there a way to set up an "Unused1" tab with auto-calculations to track commissions?
01-17-2013 08:21 AM
Hello Chris PPS,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!
I'll try to cover it all...
The lag issue: is this when a particular user is making changes/imports? Or when any user making changes?
If you are signed into the database directly on the server, do you experience the same lag?
- Pad files: the name of a pad file can be changed. Within the pad file is the location of the ADF, the main database file. The ADF cannot be renamed.
- Export/Import with Pad file the same: Yes. The pad file is just a pointer used to locate the ADF - it has no affect on performance after opening the database.
- Delete large amounts of data: assuming you are referring to Contact records; you can perform a Lookup on a particular field value and delete them in blocks on the Contact List screen. You can also add a field(s) to the List view to sort them (click on heading); this is done by right clicking on column heading bar > select Customize Columns.
- Create a back up of the database before deleting data (File > Back Up > Database)
- Start with small blocks of contacts to determine acceptable response time when deleting.
- Create new tab with calculations: You can create a new tab, use instructions in this article: KB Article 15332.
To have fields automatically calculate will require an add-on (ex: Automatic Field Calculations); they can be reviewed at this web page: Sage ACT! Add-ons - Utilities
01-17-2013 05:09 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome and great feedback, Greg!
Getting back to the lag issue, the bulk of our problems occur when User A is importing on their PC and User B (as well as Users C-G) is entering contact/lead/sale/etc data on theirs. During this time, User A's importing slows and User B experiences frequent screen hang and input lag. Is this a hardware issue?
I also recently learned that our hotfixes are not up to date, we currently have only the first applied to our version of ACT!. Could this be the culprit?
Also: I don't think we are signed into the database directly on the server (nor do I think we have a license installed on the server)
Pre Planning Solutions
01-18-2013 06:47 AM