Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Premium Performance Issues (Hanging/Input Lag)

ACT 2010 Premium Performance Issues (Hanging/Input Lag)

First time poster here, be gentle! 

I work for a company that uses ACT! 2010 Premium Version 12.1.181.0 Hotfix 1 via an on-site server with the following specs:

Dell PowerEdge T610
-CPU: X5550 2.66Ghz, XDN, 95w

-HD Space: 544GB

-RAM: 10GB

We currently use 7 licenses for across 7 PC's using XP with the following specs (there are a few varying differences but nothing too crazy) : 

-CPU: E5300 2.6GHz

-RAM: 2.96GB

Our problem: When a user is changing a field/moving a field/entering data/importing on ACT!, our other users experience input lag and hanging when trying to use ACT!. I've asked for the opinion of a friend of mine who has used ACT! extensively and he says it's not a server/end user issue. Can anyone else offer any insight? 

Re: ACT 2010 Premium Performance Issues (Hanging/Input Lag)

Bumping for more questions and good faith in humanity! 

1. Can names of pads be changed? 

2. Can export/import take place if pad is identical? 

3. How can I delete large amounts of records? (and is there a way to sort them by category) 

4. Is there a way to set up an "Unused1" tab with auto-calculations to track commissions?

Bump

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Chris PPS,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

I'll try to cover it all...

The lag issue: is this when a particular user is making changes/imports?  Or when any user making changes? 

If you are signed into the database directly on the server, do you experience the same lag?

- Pad files: the name of a pad file can be changed.  Within the pad file is the location of the ADF, the main database file.  The ADF cannot be renamed.

- Export/Import with Pad file the same: Yes.  The pad file is just a pointer used to locate the ADF - it has no affect on performance after opening the database.

- Delete large amounts of data: assuming you are referring to Contact records; you can perform a Lookup on a particular field value and delete them in blocks on the Contact List screen.  You can also add a field(s) to the List view to sort them (click on heading); this is done by right clicking on column heading bar > select Customize Columns.

Notes:

- Create a back up of the database before deleting data (File > Back Up > Database)

- Start with small blocks of contacts to determine acceptable response time when deleting. 

- Create new tab with calculations:  You can create a new tab, use instructions in this article: KB Article 15332.

To have fields automatically calculate will require an add-on (ex: Automatic Field Calculations); they can be reviewed at this web page: Sage ACT! Add-ons - Utilities

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for the warm welcome and great feedback, Greg!

Getting back to the lag issue, the bulk of our problems occur when User A is importing on their PC and User B (as well as Users C-G) is entering contact/lead/sale/etc data on theirs. During this time, User A's importing slows and User B experiences frequent screen hang and input lag. Is this a hardware issue?

I also recently learned that our hotfixes are not up to date, we currently have only the first applied to our version of ACT!. Could this be the culprit?

Also: I don't think we are signed into the database directly on the server (nor do I think we have a license installed on the server)

Thank you

Chris

Pre Planning Solutions

Platinum Super Contributor

I would certainly apply updates. I don't know how many/which updates have not been applied, but a number of issues were resolved with the updates. There are articles within the Knowledgebase describing the issues resolved with each update.

ACT! should be installed on the server, with you being able to open the database. The idea behind signing onto the server is to see if there is a delay during the activity. If there is no delay, it may be an issue of network traffic.
Greg Martin
Sage

Alright, I'll apply the updates and then conduct a test on the server to check for delay. 

Thank you once again for all your help Greg.