Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010, Contacts disappeared

ACT 2010, Contacts disappeared

Hello,

A co-worker and I were deleting contacts to clean up a database, and over night it seems that 300-400 contacts disappeared.

Our backup wasn't working, so I simply copied our database files and .pads to a seperate folder.

What might have caused this?  It should be of note that prior to my recent maintainance, no maintence had ever been done and our IT company scheduled back ups, but they always failed, so we don't have another back up. 

My backup doesn't come up with any information when I do this JUST from C:/ I just get myself as a contact. When I load the DB from the Server, I get the current database.

Did I screw up and create a useless backup?  By putting the backup in the same folder, did I create a database that would be overwritten as we worked on the database?  Help me out here.

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT 2010, Contacts disappeared

Yes, your backup is most likely useless. SQL ties up the files so you can't copy them this way. Most likely you are using an older copy of your database.

To know where the database you are using, go to help, about in ACT and look at database information that will tell you where the database is that you are using.

If you search your compter for .adf files, you may see several different copies of the database that you have out there.  My fear is that you may have been working in a copy you didn't realize you were working in and that you may have data  spread our accross several database.

the pad file is just a pointer file. you can open it in note pad. this will also tell you where your database is located.

In the  future, back up your database with file backup and resore with File, Restore AS and keep track of too many copies of the same database or similar sounding databases as that may  be confusing. 

Finally, it's not possible to have two databases with exactly the same name attached to SQL.  So the one that is attached (visable via ACTdiag) is the one you are using.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

Whelp. Thanks for the help, bad on me that it's not better news.

EDIT:  So what's your speculation on the missing contacts?

Silver Contributor

Missing contacts almost always caused by human error. deleting them in ACT, deleteing them in outlook and then syncing.  or the wrong database.

Maintenance can also be needed and sometimes the lack of maintenance can cause the record cound to be messed up.

Look through the My Records (lookup, advanced, users) histories and make sure the histories don't have a lot of deleted records there.

do you have any add ins or are you syncing with outlook or anything else?

(866)710 4228

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another possibility is, that if you did lookups to find contacts to delete, when you select the option to delete the contact there are buttons to Delete Contact and Delete Lookup. You may have accidentally clicked the Delete Lookup option.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg:

My lookup had over 800 contacts, the missing # would be a lot larger.

We have a BDR server that we use for backups that basically takes a snapshot of our files:  So we have a backup of our database.  I cannot open this database in ACT, because if can't find the file on "Host name".  I tried to get around this by opening directly from the .ADF file, but I don't have a .ALF file. 

I'm zipping the database so I can try to restore from a .zip, hope that works.  But in the mean time, I have an .adf from before our cleaning and it's completely independant of the original, so hopefully there's no chance of SQL interference.

So if that works, I'll export the contacts from my C Drive and import the missing ones to the server.

Any advice or ideas to help me along?  Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Don't move and mix adf files, it will corrupt or render the database unuseable.  Do you have any backups?  You might consider contacting a consultant or Sage Tech support as you could be risking further damage to the database by moving the files around like that..

(866)710 4228