Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 Backup failed with IO exception exceed.zip

ACT! 2010 Backup failed with IO exception exceed.zip

Backups - both scheduled and immediate - are failing on ACT! Premium 2010.  The log file from the scheduled job shows the following:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 2010-01-11T19:52:49 ========

Start Date/Time: 2010-01-11T19:30:00

Database: PracDevUnit

User Name: jmorwitzer

Machine Name: \\BSERVE3

Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.

Task Frequency: Daily, every weekday(M-F)

Result: Task Not Completed

Errors: Failed to log into the database. An IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file.

Type: Xceed.Zip.ZipArchive

FullName: \

Zip file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\tmpA1.tmp

Backup Filename and Path: D:\Program Files\ACT\Database\PracDevUnit-database files\Backup\ACT! PracDevUnit.zip

I have tested with different paths for the backup but without success.

Note that when we first upgraded to this version the backup worked fine for the first few weeks but has not worked now for over a month.

As it appears I cannot backup this database directly via SQL I would welcome some suggestions as to how we can get a regular backup.

Many thanks.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 Backup failed with IO exception exceed.zip

Have you verfied that you have plenty of space on both C: and D:?

It seems like I have heard it recommended that there needs to be at least 3x database size of free space.  Is this available on both drives?

What else has changed since the backups started failing?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, we have plenty of free space on both C: and D: drives.

I am not aware of any changes on this server, but I suspect the problem has something to do with permissions, not that these have been changed since the system was set up and the backups were working.

I note that the SQL backup files appear to be created and the job fails on the 'zipping' of these files to create the final zipped ACT! backup.

Tuned Listener

Good day All,

We recently start experiencing the same problem with backups.  No changes to the PCs or network.  On scheduled back ups, we get the following error logged: 

Start Date/Time: 1/28/2010 6:41:07 AM
Database: ACT11TJB
User Name: Tom Burmeister
Machine Name: \\TJBPC
Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.
Task Frequency: Daily, every 1 days
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. An IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file.
Type: Xceed.Zip.ZipArchive
FullName: \
Zip file: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\tmp33.tmp

On a manual back up we get the following error:

AM IO exception occurred while reading from or writing to the zip file

Type: xceed.zip.ziparchive

FulName: \

Zip file: C:\Documents and settings\administrator\local settings\Temp\tmp.3F.tmp

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now.  The locay Act support people can't figure it out.  We have plenty of disc space.  It seems to be creating the back up file (files are there-hard to know it it is complete).  Problem seems to be with the zip function.

This is a huge problem for us.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Tom,

Does this happen on more than one machine? An I/O error can indicate an issue with the disk drive or as you said the zipping process. Also, have you tried backingh up to different locations, both local and network? Are you able to backup a different database, such as the demo database (ACT2010Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Did anyone ever find an answer to this?  I have a client with the same issue.

Tuned Listener

Hi Greg,

I tried backing up the demo DB, but ended up with the same result.  Changing the target directory doesn't seem to matter.  I have 120 Gb of free disk space, so it's not a space issue.  It seems to perform the backup, but crash during the zip process.  I haven't tried doing anything with the backup file in the temp directory, so I have no idea if the backup part of the process was correctly performed.

I find it interesting that all of sudden several people in different areas are experiencing the same porblem. 

Tomb

Copper Contributor

OK.  This is what I found.  When ACT! is creating the .zip file, it uses the Temp folder under the user:  C:\Users\compaq laptop\AppData\Local\Temp.  If the Temp folder is full, you will get the error.  Trying deleting all of the items in the Temp folder. 
Tuned Listener

Hi,

I dont have a " C:\Users\compaq laptop\AppData\Local\Temp " directory, but I went through my PC and emptied every temp folder on the machine.  I attempted a manual back up to " C:\ACT-TJB\ACT11TJB-database files\Backup ".  This time I received the following error:

I/O exception while copying data from item to destination.

TYPE: Xceed.FIleSystem.DiskFile

FullName: C:\ACT-TJB\ACT11TJB-database files\Backup\ACT11TJB 1ce8c2689b0c4cf8ab23081349837bf72 2009-12-15 08-20-59.zip

I've not had this error before.

Tuned Listener

I just attempted a backup to "Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Backup ".  My database has about 3800 contact records, and the process took about 2 hours (not sure if this is typical for a DB that size).  Finally I received the following error saying the backup was canceled:

I\O exception reading or writing to zip file

Tpe: Xceed.zip.ZipArchive

FullName:\

Zip file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\tmp32.tmp

Looking in that directory (...\Temp), there are a couple of small of small tmp files (i.e. ~DF31F2.tmp)

I have gotten this error numerous times ove rthe past month or so.  Still have no idea why.  Given the time of year and that we are an accounting firm, we are entering a lot of new data into this database.  We've given up on local ACT reps (tried 4 - one said we just needed to upgrade to the newer version of ACT!!).  I think I've already mentioned that we are using ACT Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367 

This is a huge problem!  Any and all advice (aside from upgrading & re-installing) would be greatly appreciated.

Tom