Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Windows 7 Remote Database unable to create problem

ACT 2009 Windows 7 Remote Database unable to create problem

ACT will not allow me to create a remote database. The process fails. I have been running ACT 2009 on a Win XP Pro machine at my office (where the ACT database resides) and accessing it from a Win 7 Pro PC in my office and a Win 7 Pro PC from home. I upgraded the office machine (where the ACT database is) to Windows 7 Pro and now I cannot access the newly upgraded machine ACT database from either one of the two machines that previously were able to access the database. I have set up sharing in the ACT database, shared all the drives etc. but can still not access ACT. I have access to every other file/folder on that same PC but cannot access ACT. HELP I really need to get back up and running.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Windows 7 Remote Database unable to create problem

Hello njmonte,
One thing to note is that ACT! 2009 is not supported on Windows 7, though we have had no significant issues reported. If you are unable to create a remote database, this may be caused by User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7. Try disabling UAC per the instructions in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

This may also help resolve the client machine access issue you reported in your other post. If not, then please see this KB article for additional solutions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

I would look at the solution regarding firewall exceptions first.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I was able to create the remote database. I had to right-click on the ACT program & choose "Run as Administrator." Strange because I am the administer, leave it to Windows.

The BIG problem now is that I cannot get through the windows firewall to access the ACT Database on my office network. I have to turn off the windows firewall to access on my office network. Please help me find a way to open up the firewall to ACT

Thanks,

Nick

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You will need to add program and port exceptions for ACT! and SQL Server to the Windows Firewall on the host machine. Instructions are in the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1942...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

good job, it worked thank you so much.