Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Windows 7 Access Problems - HELP

ACT 2009 Windows 7 Access Problems - HELP

I have been running ACT 2009 on a Win XP Pro machine at my office (where the ACT database resides) and accessing it from a Win 7 Pro PC in my office and a Win 7 Pro PC from home. I upgraded the office machine (where the ACT database is) to Windows 7 Pro and now I cannot access the newly upgraded machine ACT database from either one of the two machines that previously were able to access the database. I have set up sharing in the ACT database, shared all the drives etc. but can still not access ACT. I have access to every other file/folder on that same PC but cannot access ACT. HELP I really need to get back up and running.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Windows 7 Access Problems - HELP

Hello njmonte,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! User Community. What happens when you try to access the database from the client machines? Is there an error message? Can you open the database locally on the Window 7 office machine (host)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes I can access the database locally on the Window 7 office machine (host). I can also access the database on the host machine from my desktop (same office over the network) ONLY if I turn off the Windows firewall on the Host machine. 

“The error message is as follows. The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check you network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server”

The only way it works is if I turn the Windows Firewall off completely on the Host. I even tried removing ACT and then installing it by clicking on the setup & choosing “run as administrator” (even thought I am the administrator). During that set-up the Windows firewall popped up and asked if I wanted to allow ACT through the firewall and I said yes and it still will not work. I went into the firewall and nothing I did made any difference.

Please help, thanks,

Nick

Platinum Elite Contributor

From what you have described, it sounds like you need to add firewall exceptions for the ACT! and SQL programs and ports to the Windows firewall on the host. The following KB article provides instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1942...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.