Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 Scheduler not performing backup

Accepted Solution Solved
baz
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2009 Scheduler not performing backup

I am running ACT! 2009 Premium with a shared database located centrally on our W2K3 server. The installed copy of ACT! on a XP workstation can access the shared database fine. However, I have been completey unable to get the ACT! 2009 Scheduler to successfully perform a backup of the database. The error I get in the scheduler is:

========SCHEDULER SESSION - 3/3/2009 9:42:04 AM ========
Start Date/Time: 3/3/2009 9:42:00 AM
Database: XXXACT
User Name: xxx

Machine Name: \\SERVER1

Type of Event: Backup with Attachments.
Task Frequency: Daily, every weekday(M-F)
Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Cannot open backup device '\\SERVER1\XXXACT-database files\Backup\\SERVER1_XXXACT_D20090303T094205.BAK'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
PRC_MAINT_BACKUPDB: ERROR EXECUTING DATABASE BACKUP STATEMENT
Backup Filename and Path: C:\Documents and Settings\xxx.DOMAIN\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Backup\ACT! XXXACT.zip

As the error message suggested that access was denied I have double-checked permissions and sharing. It even fails when I try it as a domain administrator. A scheduled task to run database maintenance works fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author baz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
baz
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! 2009 Scheduler not performing backup

Already tried both of those with the Local System account and still no luck.

Finally got working by not only specifying the Local System account but ensuring that Allow service to interact with desktop was also selected and then the backup worked manually as well as via the scheduler to both network and local folders.

View solution in original post

All Replies
baz
Copper Contributor

Even the manual backup fails with same error! I have tried running it at the server and the workstation with a network folder as the backup location and a local folder. Still no good. And yes, I am specifyng a UNC instead of a mapped drive letter.

Cannot believe something so simple is such a pain. Anyone help?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Have you tried having the backup file go to a local drive?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
baz
Copper Contributor

Yes, as I said to a network folder and a local folder. Same result.
Copper Super Contributor

Baz,

I am sorry to see you are having difficulties. See if either of these help you...

1. This issue can be caused by an incorrectly configured ACT! Scheduler Service.
    Try this article on act.com/support: "Running the Scheduler for a Backup on a Database Hosted on Another Computer Fails" Answer ID 17427
  2. The error can result if the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005 ACT7 instance is set to a Windows® account that does not have adequate permissions.  
    Try this article on act.com/support: "Error: "Act.Data.ActDb.ActDbException: Cannot open backup device..." When Attempting to Restore an A..." Answer ID 23953
Dave Worral
ACC@Customer-IT.com
ACT! Consultant & Premier Trainer
Solution
Accepted by topic author baz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
baz
Copper Contributor

Already tried both of those with the Local System account and still no luck.

Finally got working by not only specifying the Local System account but ensuring that Allow service to interact with desktop was also selected and then the backup worked manually as well as via the scheduler to both network and local folders.