Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Premium access via Web, licences etc

ACT 2009 Premium access via Web, licences etc

I am trying to set up the ACT 2009 Premium Web access, just ready to install as a matter of fact. I have several questions here. I have only one license for Premium and I thought when buying that via web access I would be able to access my ACT databes that is located in our offices while for instance away in hotel or at other offices via web, am I wrong here? May I by any chance install ACT 2009 Premum as back up also at home with same account data, and exactly same contacts? That would most probably take second license?

Do any of you have suggestions of any hosting company that stores the databases for ACT 2009 premium for 24/7 access. We are smaller consulting firm and our network is turned off when last person leaves the office while our e-mailing system is on the hosted server.

I also have following question. I would like to access my database also at times via web at my clients computer, for security purposes, can I disable anything but viewing on the web account while there ? Or can my staffer do that at the main ACT! software installed site, and if so where?

Can I have on one computer more than one ACT account or are accounts per linense? I would like to set up extra accounts for my analyst, consultants and for my secretary all would be accessable only from one computer for now, rest would be via web.

We are just transfering from Outlook BCM so my questions are what they seem ie from total novice.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Maya

Ps Any hints on best extra lincese offers are also welcome. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Premium access via Web, licences etc

mayam wrote:

I am trying to set up the ACT 2009 Premium Web access, just ready to install as a matter of fact. I have several questions here. I have only one license for Premium and I thought when buying that via web access I would be able to access my ACT databes that is located in our offices while for instance away in hotel or at other offices via web, am I wrong here?

Providing you have a normal Premium lic and a Premium Web lic or a Dual Access lic, yes.

May I by any chance install ACT 2009 Premum as back up also at home with same account data, and exactly same contacts? That would most probably take second license?

No... you can put the Premium version of a second (home) machine and use the same lic... the lic is per user name, not machine. You could then set up sync to keep both copies up-to-date

Do any of you have suggestions of any hosting company that stores the databases for ACT 2009 premium for 24/7 access. We are smaller consulting firm and our network is turned off when last person leaves the office while our e-mailing system is on the hosted server.

There are a number of this, this is one - http://www.realtimeact.com/ . Ask for Brad and tell him I said hi.

I also have following question. I would like to access my database also at times via web at my clients computer, for security purposes, can I disable anything but viewing on the web account while there ? Or can my staffer do that at the main ACT! software installed site, and if so where?

If you get an addition license, you could add an account with only Browse access

Can I have on one computer more than one ACT account or are accounts per linense? I would like to set up extra accounts for my analyst, consultants and for my secretary all would be accessable only from one computer for now, rest would be via web.

License per user name

We are just transfering from Outlook BCM so my questions are what they seem ie from total novice.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Maya

Ps Any hints on best extra lincese offers are also welcome. 

Ask Brad or a Certified Consultant near you from the list at www.act.com/acc

>>May I by any chance install ACT 2009 Premum as back up also at home with same account data, and exactly same >>contacts? That would most probably take second license?

>No... you can put the Premium version of a second (home) machine and use the same lic... the lic is per user name, not machine. You >could then set up sync to keep both copies up-to-date

so basically it is one license per user in the same institution ie I could have two installs in our firm one on laptop and one on desktop under same license for syncing etc ?

>>Do any of you have suggestions of any hosting company that stores the databases for ACT 2009 premium for 24/7 >>access. We are smaller consulting firm and our network is turned off when last person leaves the office while our >>e-mailing system is on the hosted server.

>There are a number of this, this is one - http://www.realtimeact.com/ . Ask for Brad and tell him I said hi.

thank you very much ! We will contact them as soon as we are far enough with the transfer.

>>I also have following question. I would like to access my database also at times via web at my clients computer, for >>security purposes, can I disable anything but viewing on the web account while there ? Or can my staffer do that at the >>main ACT! software installed site, and if so where?

>If you get an addition license, you could add an account with only Browse access

can I limit browse or web access IP numbers? Ie so that when my consultant leaves the site in Romania access to the web account is no longer avialable on the site in case client would have some keyloggers intalled on the used desktop?? Or are they any other security options with this in mind such as for instance Electronic ID Cards needing to be present to access the web access point of ACT Premium for web.

>Regards,
>Mike Lazarus
>ACT! Evangelist
>GL Computing, Australia
thank you very much for all the answers Mike! US support will be better option as our headquarters are in the US, we cover CEE region from Vienna however.
With best regards, M

mayam wrote:

>>May I by any chance install ACT 2009 Premum as back up also at home with same account data, and exactly same >>contacts? That would most probably take second license?

>No... you can put the Premium version of a second (home) machine and use the same lic... the lic is per user name, not machine. You >could then set up sync to keep both copies up-to-date

so basically it is one license per user in the same institution ie I could have two installs in our firm one on laptop and one on desktop under same license for syncing etc ?

Providing not using same user on both systems at same time, yes. The lic is per user in the database... so logging on lan of laptop is one lic for one user. You have to pay a bit more to have both Windows and Web access

>>Do any of you have suggestions of any hosting company that stores the databases for ACT 2009 premium for 24/7 >>access. We are smaller consulting firm and our network is turned off when last person leaves the office while our >>e-mailing system is on the hosted server.

>There are a number of this, this is one - http://www.realtimeact.com/ . Ask for Brad and tell him I said hi.

thank you very much ! We will contact them as soon as we are far enough with the transfer.

>>I also have following question. I would like to access my database also at times via web at my clients computer, for >>security purposes, can I disable anything but viewing on the web account while there ? Or can my staffer do that at the >>main ACT! software installed site, and if so where?

>If you get an addition license, you could add an account with only Browse access

can I limit browse or web access IP numbers? Ie so that when my consultant leaves the site in Romania access to the web account is no longer avialable on the site in case client would have some keyloggers intalled on the used desktop?? Or are they any other security options with this in mind such as for instance Electronic ID Cards needing to be present to access the web access point of ACT Premium for web.

You can do all of this in IIS - make the virtual folder require authentication and determine what IP ranges have access. I wrote this doc a few years ago on IIS Security for Windows 2000. I'm in the process of updating it, but most of it is still valid:

https://www.box.net/shared/0865m4pllh

thank you very much for all the answers Mike! US support will be better option as our headquarters are in the US, we cover CEE region from Vienna however.
For bandwidth, it's sometimes best to have the server where the majority of users are. Also, contact whoever you choose earlier as they may have advice to assist you in setting up for their infrastructure. Eg: You might host on their server, use their Web and have office and laptops syncing from them as well. They might also have some deals on lic pricing.

Thank you very much for all the tips Mike. I will have our computer spec. read this.  But still have a quesiton, if one uses the hosting service like the one Brad is offering, do we get options to set the ip limits of and on ourself or does ending those cost extra every time one changes them. Thank you! Regards, Maya

That would be up to the hosting company ... it's really nothing to do with ACT!, it's just the IIS service or the firewall that controlls that

Another option might be see if the hosting company supports something like RSA SecureID - I know a few users where security is critical who use them, but not sure of the cost.

Either way, this is something you should discuss with the host and, if they don't have an option that's secure enough for you, let me know and I'll recommend someone else.