Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Premium - Remote DB sync fails midway

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

ACT 2009 Premium - Remote DB sync fails midway

Hi,

I've browsed the forums, but I haven't been able to find someone with quite the same problem...

For the past week and a half, our offsite employee has been unable to synchronize with our DB. It will go through the first two steps without error, but during the third step, it brings up the "ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that Network sync service is running..." error.

When I check our Sync Log, this is displayed:

======== SYNC SESSION - 11/25/2009 12:01:09 PM ========

[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:01:09 PM ]Message: Synchronization started.
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:01:09 PM ]Message: Server object created.
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:01:10 PM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:01:38 PM ]Message: Server establishing synchronization with remote database: EASTERNTERRITORYMOBILE
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:01:38 PM ]Message: Server generated remote sync session identifier: 02395a69-9b55-478c-baf7-6b53ed384b58:<EasternTerritoryMobile>
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:02:18 PM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:05:33 PM ]Message: Server initialized database send session: 29
[ Info | 11/25/2009 12:05:48 PM ]Message: Server initialized.

The remote database's connection settings have not changed in comparison with two weeks ago; we have been using the settings to connect in for roughly 6 months now with no trouble.

If anyone could give some suggestions, it would be much appreciated! Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,

David Schmidt

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author TWDTradeWinds
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Premium - Remote DB sync fails midway

First, update everyone to the latest service pack for ACT! 11.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello David,

Try increasing timeout values on the server and client computer.

How to Increase Timeout Values for Synchronization

Tuned Listener

Hi David,

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately it did not seem to help her get a successful sync. I ended up having to send her another remote database to get her to sync.

Interestingly enough, the first time she tried to sync with the new DB she hit a failure when the transfer amount was roughly 1MB... she was able to get it through after another try, though. On the old DB, the amount to sync was roughly 2 1/2MB... Do you think that the size of the update might be causing this? I have my doubts, but just in case it makes sense to someone else..!

Thanks,

David

Tuned Listener

Hello again,

Since I last posted about this problem, the employee with sync problems has left the company and we've got a new person using the same sync set. Roughly 2 weeks ago I set him up with ACT, gave him a new remoteDB, and he was able to sync with no problems... until now. I appear to be getting the same error that occurred on the previous employee's remoteDB.

I notice that I didn't give you guys a lot of information to work with last time... so:

-we have only 3 users syncing into this DB - 2 from the internet, 1 within the network. The one internet remoteDB and the network remoteDB sync with no problems.

-we are using ACT 2009 Premium. The server reports it's at version 11.0.1.500, while our remote person's installation is at 11.0.0.367.

-whenever the server computer starts up, the ACT! Network Sync service autostarts. Roughly around April/June of last year when we started to have some sync issues, I'd make sure to turn this off upon every reboot and then go into ACT manually and enable "Accept Incoming Syncs". (The thought at the time was that it seemed to create conflicts in syncing.)

Any thoughts? Our new employee has apparently been using ACT for many years, so in the past 2 days that he had been unable to sync he has accumulated a lot of new information (unlike our previous employee). I'm a little reluctant to just issue him a new remoteDB and lose all the data he's gotten.

Thanks!

-David Schmidt

Solution
Accepted by topic author TWDTradeWinds
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

First, update everyone to the latest service pack for ACT! 11.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Will do - hopefully all of my remote users will be able to get this done by tomorrow and I can let you know if it helps.

Also, when I installed the update on our server I noticed some of my information was incorrect before - my server is running ACT! Premium for Web. (Not sure how much of a difference that makes...)

Tuned Listener

I just got word from my remote employee, and barring any future problems this seems to have fixed it! Thank you very much!
Tuned Listener

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems like we're having problems again :<

Suddenly, a week ago (on March 8th) none of our remote employees could sync in to ACT. Our in-house employees still have no problem syncing, however. My NetworkSyncService is running and accepting connections.

This time, things are a little different - where previously the RDB user could get roughly halfway through their sync process before getting booted out, this time they are denied immediately. No record of their sync attempt shows up on my main DB. It's very puzzling...

Again, any help is deeply appreciated.

-David 

Any chance an update was installed on the publisher database?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Sadly, no... I made sure to check that all 3 installations had the same version info.