Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 Premium Internet Sync Frustrations

ACT! 2009 Premium Internet Sync Frustrations

I have tried for hours to get the Internet Sync to work on our customer's server bu can't get it to work.  Currently we have Network Sync installed and runs fine but the company's security Dept wants to use the existing ports and would prefer to use the internet sync to avoid any more port forwarding. 

I found that after installing ACT! and Network Sync and Internet Sync, the  file SyncConfigFile.xml  was not in the program Files folder.  I copied it from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACT\ACT For Windows 11 to put into c:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ACT Internet Sync then I could browse to the SyncConfigFile.xml file over the web.  All documentation on the forum and the KB shows that the file should be located in the Documents and Settings folder.

Internet Sync

SyncConfigFile.xml has the correct datbase name in caps as well as the server name in caps.

Could someone shed some light on this.

Act Settings:  Allow Incoming Sync is UNCHECKED.  Network Sync Service is running and stable.

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT! 2009 Premium Internet Sync Frustrations

OK, first off, move the file back where you found it.  ACT will look for it there.  Next, did you update the config file with the database name and server name AFTER  you moved it or before?  The updates have to be made before trying to connect via Internet Sync.  Also, once you update the file, make sure you do an IIS reset. This is "Start Run IIS" - this forces IIS to shut down and restart and pull in any changes made to the config.  That should make it work.  Good Luck
Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

When I remove the file from Program Files, I am no longer able to see the  SyncConfigFile.xml file.  The Database and Server names are correct.  When I put the file back to Program Files, I am able to browse the file from the web. 

Judging from all the frustration on the internet sync there is on the net, this program seems to fraught with issues.Not too many successes and lots of failures!!

Would be nice to have a straing forward document on version 2009 (11).

Have you tried following the KB article below?

Troubleshooting Internet Synchronization in ACT!

Where should this file SyncConfigFile.xml be located?  It is under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users...

For some reason it does not show under the IIS web site and is not browsable through IE...Port 80 is open.

J.

The syncconfigfile should be under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users...  Are you able to access http://<external_ip> ?

This is what I get.    The webpage cannot be found  HTTP 404   Most likely causes:
  • There might be a typing error in the address.
  • If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
  What you can try:     Retype the address.     Go back to the previous page.     Go to  and look for the information you want.     More information

This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

You cannot access just http://externalip, then you need to check your IIS, firewall, and router settings.  Once you can access just the external IP, try to view the syncconfigfile again.

I can access it no problem from the IP...without the http://<ip>  says under construction

But

http://<IP>/ActInternetSync/SyncConfigFile.xml says HTTP 404 Not Found

Definitely not firewall related