Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Database on NAS

Copper Contributor

ACT 2009 Database on NAS

It is possible to store an ACT 2009 Premium database on a Network Attached Storage device?

The program will be run off each PC but I would like the data to be stored on the NAS drive. Is this possible as I have read somewhere that SQL databases cannot be stored on NAS drives. The database is currently stored on one PC with the others accessing it over the Network however it would greatly simplify this process if the data were stored on a NAS drive.

Thanks,
JJ

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Database on NAS

No. The ACT! program must be installed on the same system as the database and the database must be installed on a local drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

But I am currently running it off a networked PC. The path to the database is currently as follows: \\pc23\pc23-c\act\database.pad therefore how the data only be on the local machine. Surely if this works then it should work equally on a networked drive with a similar path \\networkdrive\ for example?

JJ

The database misty be located on a local drive where the ACT! program and MSSQL is installed. Other users can access the database over the network, that's not the issue, the issue is where the database itself is located.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Misty? I'm assuming that means the pad file. I should have been clearer:- the adf file and alf file along with all layouts documents templates and all other database data is in that same path \\pcXX\pcXX-C\act or whatever it was (I can't remember).

As I understand it, a NAS does not have an operating system installed and it is not addressed as a local drive from any computer therefore it can't host the ACT! database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129