Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 serious setup problems

ACT! 2008 serious setup problems

A new client who had their computer rebuild got me to put ACT! on it. After some trouble with getting it authenticated it now starts just fine. There are only a couple of problems. I don't know where the database is kept to start with. I found some .pad files with related folders on their server but then I don't know how to tell which is the one they were using. The client doesn't know either. Mor than that when connecting to any of them a window pops up asking to authenticate to which the user the user doesn't know how to respond. We've tried a couple of possible usernames and while what seem to be a wron password just tells me that the username or password is invalid but in one case it tells me that it cannot find related folders or something in these worlds. I'm guessing when this happens we use the right username but there is something on the server's side casing the problem possibly some permissions issue. Can anyone help with at least putting me on the right track in making sure I'm connecting to the right database?

yaro

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 serious setup problems

Hello Yaro,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

An ACT! database will consist of the following file types: ADF, ALF, PAD, and 'database files' (a folder).  They will all have the same file name (ex: 'databasename.adf').

Since you received the message concerning supplemental folders, that means that you did have the correct username/password combination, but the database is most likely not set to 'shared'. 

To determine which is the correct database will require opening each one individually and reviewing the contents.  You can add the field 'Create Date' to the Contact List view to see when the contacts were added to the database.  Also using Windows Explorer and viewing the create date of the PAD file will be an indication to the age of th database.  The Modified date on the ALF is another indicator.

I recommend you attempt opening the databases on the host computer to get past the folders issue.  Once you have determined the correct database, it can be shared through the Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database option.

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

I was already loosing hope I ever get this working. I found that the client has Act! Premium for Web installed on their server. When I double-clicked it, it started with the logon box with the username filled in Smiley Happy DOH! It also showed me which database it opens. I went to Database Maintenance and found that although greyed out it is set to Shared. Then I went to open a diferent .pad in the same folder and this opens just fine as well. I tried a few more and they open just fine. Makes me think it coule be something to do with Windows permissions. Many thanks for your post Martin. If not for that I would probably never be looking for ACT on the server

I checked the client's computer again and getting the same message even though she's got Full Permissions on the flder containing all the .pad files and other contents. Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try starting ACT! by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Run as Administrator.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129