Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 Premium sync over VPN is very unreliable

ACT 2008 Premium sync over VPN is very unreliable

Hi,

I've been struggling with syncing over VPN for a long time now (sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all) and I'd like to ask a few questions.

1. Is this expected behavior for syncing over a VPN?

2. Is it safe to expose the sync server directly on the internet and let my outside sales people sync that way?

3. Since I've already set everyone up to sync with an internal server, how can I change it to an FQDN without resending databases?

Thanks,

Chris.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 Premium sync over VPN is very unreliable

For sync by VPN I typically need to extend some timeouts at each remote in a config file to make it reliable.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

1. no not expected but the added security from a VPN can make remote connections more difficult

2. Syncing across the internet is perfectly safe

3. In tools synchronizatin panel in the remotes you can change connection information to reflect the change from an internal IP address to an external one.

@Roy

What file is it that you edit and what values do you use?

@Default

I'm looking around and it doesn't appear that I can change this value for an established remote database. Is this correct?

I wonder also if the size of the sync/database is an issue? We were advised ACT reseller to sync all the contacts (we have almost 9k, when databases were first created it was half that) but this seems really inefficient to me. For one, as we add more outside sales people the databases are just going to get bigger and more unwieldy, and second thing is that it just seems like a waste of bandwidth for someone to sync the 10, 50, 100+ contacts that aren't related to them.

If we already know the outside sales people don't need to see another's contacts are there any technical reasons why I should not suggest that we create proper sync sets to restrict the data that is synced? And could this also be related to faulty syncs?
Nickel Contributor

In the sync panel the connection information should be able to be modified under the manage connection information area.

Secondly to the question about the sync sets, they're the best way to limit contacts for sync users. Faulty sync sets can cause issues with synchronization.

My Manage Connection Information option is greyed out.
Nickel Contributor

That could mean the database your looking at isn't a remote.

Go to Help -> about act -> database information and in the section called database settings information, near the bottom it will have a setting called sync role, this should say subscriber.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129