Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 Premium ST - Wheel of Death in Vista SP1 for 2 Users out of 7

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2008 Premium ST - Wheel of Death in Vista SP1 for 2 Users out of 7

Hey all,

I've got 7 users that all have pretty high end Vista (SP1) Business Edition Optiplex stations that mainly only run ACT!, Office, and 1 IM program like AIM.

Symantec is the AV and they use Office 2007.  Nothing out of the ordinary...maybe 1 of the 7 uses AOL still. 

They all share a database on their main server which is dual quad core with 16GB of memory.  The server also has SQL Svr 2005 ST and I have load ACT! successfuly into SQL Server.  The DB has all 8 cores attached to it and is on a RAID 5 array.  This server rocks and should be able to server 5 times the number of current users.  The server even has 1 NIC for which all ACT! traffic flows over.

The network is GB with all users hard-wired with GB NICs on the workstations.

I've got 2 problem users that complain about everything anyway...but now I've seen what they are complaining about. 

ACT! crashes...especially with searches for users...will throw up the "hour glass" circle of death.  These novice users click to force the program and it locks up and crashes.

Q:  What am I missing here?  I reformatted these 2 machines and they still get this problem...especially after downloading any updates to ACT!.

• Is there AV exclusions to make?
  • Is Vista scanning this traffic on the NICs and slowing it down till it crashes?
  • Does ACT! require additional tweeks?

Oh please help...they are calling me all day long at my full time job because they're mad Robot surprised

Thanks a bunch,

inverted

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author inverted_2000
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT! 2008 Premium ST - Wheel of Death in Vista SP1 for 2 Users out of 7

inverted,

First, I would test with a local database on these two machines to see if they're having the same issue.  This will help narrow down the issue a bit.  If the local database isn't having the problem, then have the user log into the ACT! database from a machine that isn't have the issue.  This could determine if its a corrupted user or not.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author inverted_2000
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

inverted,

First, I would test with a local database on these two machines to see if they're having the same issue.  This will help narrow down the issue a bit.  If the local database isn't having the problem, then have the user log into the ACT! database from a machine that isn't have the issue.  This could determine if its a corrupted user or not.

Thanks for the quick reply ,

Last few things:

• So it the local DB is okay...then I should have them log on to another station and try.  You stated "corrupted user" meaning?
    • The user profile in ACT! is corrupt?
    • The user doesn't know how to interact with ACT! and should seek education materials?

• If the user moves to another computer and it is okay, then back to their workstation that has just been completely reformated and is running like it did right out of the box.
    • Is AV (Symantec)an issue...especially strange since the DB isn't local?
    • Does one of the recent updates that I applied to all the ACT! nodes possibly reset security on the stations and now there is more aggressive network monitoring of the applciation?

Thanks a bunch...if you could touch on these few things...I think I'll have enough to go back in and trouble shoot.

inverted Smiley Very Happy

Hello everyone,

My logs are the same on an old computer as they are on a completely brand new formatted

workstation.  Please remember that this is only 2 of 7 stations that have this issue.:

The program ActSage.exe version 10.3.182.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 87c Start Time: 01c8f821489f56a3 Termination Time: 31

Thanks a ton for anyhelp...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Do those users get the problem on a local database (demo or restore of the main db)?

Fixed it!!!

The users didn't get that issue on other computers or from RDP sessions on the terminal server...so...I reinstalled ACT! on one of the problem stations while logged in as a domain admin...then logged into ACT! with the admin for ACT! account...updated the installation.

No problem...very fast.

Logged off and back on with the user's account and opened ACT! with their ACT! account.  Clicked the calendar and it locked up.  CRASH!

So...I deleted the local profiles and recreated them...logged them back on with their same old ACT! accounts and Zoom Zoom.

Corrupt profile wasn't in my top 10 possible reasons for this.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for keeping us informed. I'm sure this will be useful to other users in the future.