Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 Premium ST Edition - SQL Dependence?

ACT! 2008 Premium ST Edition - SQL Dependence?

We just purchased SQL! 2008 Premium ST Edition, and have completed the server portion of the install.  I am installing the client now, and am confused on how to connect the client pc to the ACT7 instance on the SQL server. 

The client install automatically installs SQL Express in the situation where the database would reside locally.  However, since we are using the SQL 2005 Standard install on a server, can I remove SQL Express from the workstation, or perhaps move the "dependency" folder during install so that SQL 2005 express portion will be skipped? 

How do I make the ACT 2008 client installation "see" the ACT7 SQL 2005 instance?  Do I just create a new shared database .pad file on the server running the SQL instance?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 Premium ST Edition - SQL Dependence?

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/29spn8

ACT! installs SQL Express on workstations as it's needed if you use Internet Mail

[ Edited ]
So can I remove it, or hide the "dependencies" folder during install?  We don't use Internet mail - only an exchange server.  We'd rather not have local installations of SQL Server Express 2005 on 20+ workstations, not only because it doesn't play nice with our HIPS/Firewall solution, but for security reasons as well.

Message Edited by Skaye on 04-01-2008 01:00 PM

You can change the SQL services to Manual in services.msc if you want.

Don't remove it. ACT! won't install without it

Will do.  Can you respond to the second part of my question?  With this service disabled, how does it communicate with the SQL Server 2005 instance? 

The ACT! application on workstation talks to ACT! on the server which accesses the SQL engine for the data.

Have a look at the link I posted in my first reply