07-30-2008 09:23 AM
My company has recently upgraded to ACT 2008 Premium from ACT 2006. We have a 10-user setup, and one user is experiencing some issues with slowdowns/application hang-ups, when working with his Task List or with Activities for an individual contact.
What is happening is the following:
1. The user completes a scheduled Activity. He clicks on the check box next to the Activity to mark it as completed.
2. While in the Activity window, he clicks on the Follow Up button to create a follow-up activity.
3. He fills in all of the information for the follow up activity and clicks on OK. ACT then freezes for about 20 seconds before going back to the original Activity window.
4. He then clicks ok to finish completing the original task. ACT freezes for 10-20 seconds before clearing the activity and returning to the contact's record.
5. He then clicks on the Task List button. Sometimes his task list comes up instantly, other times ACT freezes for another 30 seconds before displaying it.
1. The user opens an activity to change push the activity back. Once he changes the date and clicks on OK, ACT freezes for 10-30 seconds before it completes the operation and returns him to the contact record.
I have tried the following things, without any luck:
1. We removed all cleared activity records that were older than one year. (this removed about 14,000 cleared activities)
2. I ran the Database Maintentance -> Check and Repair tool
3. I ran ACTDIAG on the database and ran all of the database fixes as stated in ACT KB Article 18447
4. I performed all of the customizations as recommended in ACT KB Article 16605
5. I disabled the anti-virus software on his PC (temporarily)
Has anyone else run into similar issues, or have any ideas on how I can correct this problem?
08-05-2008 11:07 AM
Is this a shared database setup? Do all 10 users access the same database? If so, do they experience any of the issues described? If the user in question accesses the database from different computer with his ACT! user name, is the issue still present?
08-26-2008 12:32 PM - edited 08-26-2008 12:33 PM
08-27-2008 05:48 AM
What version of ACT! are you using? Have you tried running repairs from actdiag? If the users in question access the database from different computer with their ACT! user name, is the issue still present?
08-27-2008 06:02 AM - edited 08-27-2008 06:02 AM
I am using ACT! 2008 10.0.1.199 Premium for Work Groups. If the users log into different machines with their user names they have the same problem. When they reschedule an activitiy ACT! minimizes or goes white, locks up for an extended amount of time and then starts working again.
08-27-2008 06:12 AM
Yes, this is a shared database setup. The user only experiences the issue on his PC. I can setup other computers in the company for him to log into and access ACT on and they run fine, with the exact same hardware and software installed.
I dealt with ACT's technical support, and they just went through an uninstall and reinstall which didn't fix the issue.
In my case I just decided to buy a new PC with better hardware specs to see if that will correct the issue. The user was about due for an upgrade anyway.
08-27-2008 06:39 AM
I ran the activities repair and it found no issues. We also reindex regularly. I am hesitant to run a repair because I am not sure if that could hurt anything or not. Plus, I have people logged in all day.
08-27-2008 06:56 AM
08-27-2008 11:02 AM
Regarding Chris' post, the computers are brand new on our end. Now I am getting an error message that says ACT! need to shut down and it boots me out, fun times.
08-27-2008 11:32 AM
Interesting, I should have the new computer here tomorrow. I'll make sure to test it out after I get it setup and post my findings.
The one thing I have noticed on the computer that is experiencing the problem is that the CPU gets pegged at 100% every time ACT "freezes". On every other PC here the CPU usage never exceeds 70% while performing the same ACT operation.