Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 Premium for Workgroups Keep Losing Preferences

ACT 2007 Premium for Workgroups Keep Losing Preferences

When I start ACT 2007 I sometimes get the setup wizard. If I exit and launch again it usually starts normally with my preferences. However this is very annoying and it never remembers my database location folder so I am contstantly browsing the network to connect to a difference database. Haveing to reset email preferences etc.

I was given a preferences utility but I still have the problem.

Has anyone had the same problem and a solution.

Paul D. Guyon
IT Manager
Maxwell Medals & Awards

Paul D. Guyon
IT Manager
Maxwell Medals & Awards
www.maxmedals.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 Premium for Workgroups Keep Losing Preferences

Tuned Listener

Upgrade to 2008, 2007 should never have been released
SF

Thanks for the tip. I do believe it worked Smiley Wink. I had to setup my preferences this morning after installing Hotfix 3 and my preferences are still there.

I'll let you know if I run into this again.

Thanks.
Paul D. Guyon
IT Manager
Maxwell Medals & Awards
www.maxmedals.com
Copper Contributor

I have had similar preferences problems, but we are running a lower version than what is listed in the Hotfix link with this solution. Here is my new question, I have 18 users sharing Act Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.0.557 and have never checked for updates. Should the program be updated when the updates are available and does it need to be done on every computer at the same time in order to prevent problems? Only 4-6 computers lose the preferences from time to time - even though the check for updates box is unchecked and none of these users have administrative rights.

Update the server first, it will update the database
Then add Hotfix 3
Then do the same for each workstation
Copper Contributor

I am finally close to performing the update and adding the Hotfi3 x, but am getting confused by the knowledgebase instructions for downloading and applying the latest version of Act. If I backup the database on the server, complete the Act update on the server - will I need to do the Act update on each individual computer (14) and also download and install the hotfix on the server plus all 14 computers? Also, approximately how long does an update take to complete? and how long to do the hotfix? I have a 9 month old baby and would love to avoid coming in on a weekend - am hoping I can do it in 2 hours time if I come in early one morning. Maybe do the backup the night before and do the update & hotfix early morning - would that be possible? Also, will the existing preferences, keyboard shortcuts, custom commands, etc. be effected by the updates? If I lose those on every computer it will really be a problem for me. Thanks!

Yes, you should do both updates on all systems - server first, then each of the workstations.

Download the files to the server and, after you've updated the server, run the files on the workstations across the LAN... this way you can do several at a time.

How long the backup and updates take depend on the system you're running on. I did the 9.01 and Hotfix update on a client machine today and it took about 10 minutes. It wouldn't have taken much long if I'd done 5 at the same time.

I'd also reboot after the updates (not sure if it's forced).

Not sure if Prefs are retained, but one of the fixes are for damaged Prefernces, so some might get wiped.
Copper Contributor

when you say - run the files on the workstations across the LAN..., what does that mean? Should I use the Download and apply method to get the update and save the file to a shared network folder instead of the desktop as recommended? would multiple workstations be able to unpack the update at the same time quickly? of is there some other way to send the files to the workstations? Thanks for your help and advice!!

Yes, download to a shared location. Multiple systems can run them at the same time.... how quickly depends on your network, but it should be faster than downloading from the internet on each machine