Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 Calendar - creating/deleting multiple meetings at once

TJF

ACT 2007 Calendar - creating/deleting multiple meetings at once

Hello everyone -  

We have 13 users on ACT 2007 (9) Premium for Workgroups.

Five of our users also use Blackberries (BBs). Syncing to and from the BBs is a constant issue - which I have written in to on this forum in the past. It seems there may be a connection between the BBs and another problem we've had now for months - meetings that seem to be spontaneously created by ACT, but have the symbol as if having been synced from the Blackberry.  

More specifically: Occasionally ACT activities ("meetings") will appear on the ACT calendar that are "timeless" and also have no description. Unfortunately, when this occurs, it occurs in multiples. Maybe 20, 50 or 100 meetings will appear on someone's calendar, with no description or other identifying characteristic. Sometimes there will be a time, maybe 4:03 a.m. for which there are 100s of meetings or "to-dos" scheduled.  We haven't been able to determine how so many unintended activities could be scheduled at once, especially since the problem is for multiple people - it's not like one person's kid has gotten hold of their Blackberry or something like that. 

Typically this is just annoying. Yesterday, so many of these were created on one user's calendar that noone who had this person's calendar visible on their own calendar could use their calendar all day. Today I was able to access their calendar and found 1695 separate meetings with no time, no description had been created for June 2nd.

Here are my questions:

1. Why is this happening?

2. Is it possible to delete or clear multiple meetings simultaneously? In the past, it has seemed necessary to go to each individual meeting to delete it - if I had to do that with all of these, given the lag time it takes to reload between each one, it would take approx. 84 hours if all went well.  I'm afraid that if I don't get rid of them, it will cause more problems for this user later. 

Thanks!  

Tara 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 Calendar - creating/deleting multiple meetings at once

First, you should make sure you have a good backup. Then, I'd try all the repair options listed in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4g8242

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

What method are you using to sync to the Blackberries?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Also, you can clear multiple activities by following this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3z22zp

Is it just one user or multiple users?

TJF

Mike,

Thank you so much for responding. You are so helpful. I wish I was able to dive more deeply into all of these issues and have a better understanding of them.

I thought we were doing frequent backups and updates, but it looks like maybe we haven't updated in quite a while -

We're on Version 9.0.0.175

I'll update and do the repairs. I realized yesterday we needed some kind of a repair, because everyone is now getting the following error message: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Regarding your last question about one or multiple users: This time it is one user (who just happened to bring the whole system crashing to a halt), but at least one other user has had the problem several times before, to a lesser degree (maybe only 50 - 100 unwanted spontaneous activities). The common thread is the Blackberry calendar sync through ACT Scheduler. We did try a free trial of Handheld Contact per your suggestion a few months back, but they didn't like anything about it. I'm going to set up a free trial of Companion Link next.

It may take some time to get everyone out of ACT to run repairs, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Tara