Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 Backups corrupt if >4Gb !!!

ACT 2007 Backups corrupt if >4Gb !!!

Hi..

Our ACT backups (The .ZIP file) have consistently grown over time and have hovered at just under 4Gb for quite a while now.

Today I noted the backup has exceeded 4Gb, and is corrupted. Instead of a 4.xxGb file being created, a file of only a few megabytes are written to disk (the small part beyond 4Gb) and of course the ZIP file is corrupt and the backup won't restore. Yes, we are using NTFS on server 2003 - this is not a platform limitation. Those of you familiar with filesystems and the ZIP format should already be having a "lightbulb moment" - 4Gb the file size limit is well known.

Just posting this info so everyone is aware of it.....yet another reason to always test your backups!!!

Hopefully sage will, or have already addressed this bug. I'm only using the 2007 version and so can't attest to what other versions do. Perhaps they should switch to using RAR and it's multi-volume support?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 Backups corrupt if >4Gb !!!

It has been partially addresses in ACT! 2009, but not fully.

One thing to check is that the supplemental files Backup folder is empty. When a backup failes, all the temp files are left there and added to new backups.

You might find clearing out that folder makes the backups smaller again

In our case, the DB itself is only about 250Mb. The rest is attached emails (We use Outlook and attach the entire message).

I effected a "cure" by archiving all the ancient emails from the Attachments folder (the .MSG files with a date > XXX old) off the live system onto backup media. If we ever need an old email, I can recall the specific .MSG file from the backups and all will be well again.

Thanks for the 'check the supplimental files folder' tip - nothing there in our case, but it might help someone elsewho is reading this thread....

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2009 has the option to excluse attachements from the backup... this would be the simplest solution for you to still have it all. Then use a normal backup to backup the database suplemental files folder.