Do you mean 

ACT 2007, 9.0 having sudden "freezing issues"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2007, 9.0 having sudden "freezing issues"

Good Day all,

My Troubles:

Yesterday after lunch, all the computers have trouble using ACT due to constant freezing and "not responding" Once the computer is restarted, it works great for a few seconds and then the CPU usage jumps to 50% or more and it is unresponsive.

Setup:

All computers are Dell Inspiron 530, Dual Core processor with 2 GB ram. One computer is used to store the data as our server with the same specs. The server computer is not used by anyone, only acts as a file server.

Attempted fixes: All the computers have been restarted, defragged, virus/spyware checked. I've tried the same database from multiply hard drives and even restored a previous database. The demo pad file works with only very minimum delays. I have tried uninstalling the ACT, SQL Server, and .net programs and reinstall. No help.

I even tried deleting the .sys  as indicated in http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=Prem&message.id=224

I've actually tried all of these steps but no luck. The problem happened as I was away to lunch so actions know to have caused the issue.

I am don't know much about computers but I'm great at following instruction so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2007, 9.0 having sudden "freezing issues"

Greg Martin,

Thank you for your assistance. After a day and a half trying to troubleshoot it, we called ACT technical support. All the previous steps helped in making one of our databases work but not our larger database. Apparently we had too many alarms set. Tech support cleared many old alarms and "re-indexed" our database". Your input was right on. One thing that tech support was able to do that we couldn't; Clearing alarms without opening the database. Not sure how it's done but he did it. Sometimes you just gotta put the keyboard down and call in a professional.

I am still unclear on one issue; Why did this happen so suddenly?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

The first thing to do is concentrate troubleshooting to the computer that the database is stored on. 

- When you open the database on the local machine does it still have the response issue? 

- You mention that the Demo did not have a response time issue - did you open the demo on the 'host' computer to check the response time?

If the answer is yes to both of those, then it appears to be database specific.  Especially since you stated that you have reinstalled Act!, SQL, and .Net. 

When you open an Act! database behind the scenes it goes through the calendar looking for alarms to present, how long have you let it run before canceling the program?  If you haven't already, let it run for @ 5 to 10 minutes to see if it will clear on it's own (and present a list of alarms).  This would be an exceptionally long time to wait, but may tell you if something has happened to your calendar and caused lots of activities/alarms.

The next thing to do is run maintenance on your database using the Actdiag program (assumption is that you can't get to the Tools menu within the Act program).  For instructions on using the Actdiag program visit this link: Database rebuild and repair procedures

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Greg Martin,

Thank you for your assistance. After a day and a half trying to troubleshoot it, we called ACT technical support. All the previous steps helped in making one of our databases work but not our larger database. Apparently we had too many alarms set. Tech support cleared many old alarms and "re-indexed" our database". Your input was right on. One thing that tech support was able to do that we couldn't; Clearing alarms without opening the database. Not sure how it's done but he did it. Sometimes you just gotta put the keyboard down and call in a professional.

I am still unclear on one issue; Why did this happen so suddenly?

Platinum Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply, it's good to know I was on the right track.  Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for why it happened.
Greg Martin
Sage