Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2000 (5.0) to ACT! 2010 database conversion

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2000 (5.0) to ACT! 2010 database conversion

Hi,

We currently posess ACT! 2000 (5.0) and would like to upgrade to the last version. We have 2 databases, and the matter is I can't get these databases converted by the ACT! 2010 assistant.

I followed every hints I saw on the internet, but I end up with 2 differents errors. For the first database, The assistant crashes and tell me "Object reference not set to an object" while beginning to convert opportunities.

In the second error, the assistant freezes (no error message) while finishing to convert contacts (the contact converting progress bar is full, but the assistant doesn't pursue the upgrade, even one night after).

Here is what I've done before launching to upgrade :

- Ran ActDiag.exe from ACT! 2000 to clean and repair the 2 databases

- Upgraded the databases to ACT! 6.0 as advised

- Ran ActDiag.exe from ACT! 6.0

- Installed last hotfixes for ACT! 2010

- Opened the databases with ACT! 2010 and began the upgrade

What more should I do to get rid of these errors ?

Thanks for helping me, I'm becoming pretty lost.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2000 (5.0) to ACT! 2010 database conversion

Additional steps to help resolve this issue:

- in Act! V6 > create a new database > attempt to convert it to 2010.  This will test the conversion process and installation of Act! 2010.

- in Act! V6 > create an empty copy of one of your databases (File > Save Copy As > select 'Empty Copy' option).

Open the empty copy in V6 > then close and attempt to convert to 2010.  This will test the format of the database.

Note: In 2010, you can delete the test/converted database through Tools > Database Maintenace > Delete Database (it will only delete the currently opened database).

- if the conversion of the empty copy is successful:

Create a new empty copy of the V6 database and import the data from the original database into it.  Once the import is complete, attempt to convert this new copy of the database.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Additional steps to help resolve this issue:

- in Act! V6 > create a new database > attempt to convert it to 2010.  This will test the conversion process and installation of Act! 2010.

- in Act! V6 > create an empty copy of one of your databases (File > Save Copy As > select 'Empty Copy' option).

Open the empty copy in V6 > then close and attempt to convert to 2010.  This will test the format of the database.

Note: In 2010, you can delete the test/converted database through Tools > Database Maintenace > Delete Database (it will only delete the currently opened database).

- if the conversion of the empty copy is successful:

Create a new empty copy of the V6 database and import the data from the original database into it.  Once the import is complete, attempt to convert this new copy of the database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thanks for your answer.

The empty copy of my database has been successfully upgraded by ACT! 2010.

How am I supposed to import datas from original database into the V6 empty copy now ? Via ACT! 6.0 assistant or manual csv/txt file importation ?

Use the V6 import assistant.  Using a CSV/Txt import will not include your history/activity/other items, it would only be field data.

Here is an article that explains the import process: How to merge Act! databases

I recommend disabling the Duplicate Checking option so that each record is imported without trying to be compared/combined with other records.

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've just done what you suggested (it lasted all the day) and I immediatly tried to import it to ACT! 2010 via the assistant.

Before I had an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error while beginning to convert opportunities. Now I have another error which tells me that 'value can't be null' (don't know the exact translation because I use a french version) while beginning to convert notes and history.

So I ran ActDiag.exe V6.0 to clean and repair the base but all seemed to be already perfect (all crosses gone green by the first shot).

Some indications for this new error ?

Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Message Edited by kr123456 on 06-16-2010 12:10 AM

Here is an article addressing this error during conversion - resolution is to increase Timeout values: KB Article 24209

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thanks Greg, just what I needed ! The import did very well this time, and it seems without data loss.

Now I'll do exactly the same manoeuver for my other database, it should be okay. I'll post again when I'm done with it.

Thank you again for your reactivity.

Kevin

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Hi again,

I've done exactly the same things for my other database (which stucked on converting contacts while importing via ACT! 2010), but I still have a problem.

I've created the empty copy, launched ActDiag and imported the data from the original 6.0 database, but instead beginning to convert contacts, it keeps on 'scanning contact', with full progress bar. It resembles to the same problem I had before by directly importing from ACT! 2010 without passing by ACT! 6.0.

Although, I launched several instances of ActDiag 2000 and 6.0 before creating the empty copy and doing the import. It seems that some contacts might be corrupted ? If it is, how could I automatically delete corrupted data with a tool ?

Message Edited by kr123456 on 06-17-2010 01:34 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

kr123456 wrote:

Hi again,

Although, I launched several instances of ActDiag 2000 and 6.0 before creating the empty copy and doing the import. It seems that some contacts might be corrupted ? If it is, how could I automatically delete corrupted data with a tool ?

There isn't any tool that would automatically delete corrupted data and it does appear that is your problem. There is database repair service available. Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129