Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 20.1 Upgrade Experiences

Bronze Elite Contributor

ACT 20.1 Upgrade Experiences

It would be very helpful if we can pull together peoples experiences of upgrading to 20.1 in one place, good or bad. To make this meaningful please include the following –

Windows version

Office Version / Outlook version

ACT Upgrade from version number

Experience / issues -

Re: ACT 20.1 Upgrade Experiences

Upgraded from Vs. 19

16 users; 4 of whom use Remote, 12 use Cloud

Were told needed at least Outlook 2010. Wrong. You must have Outlook 2016 or 365. Just finally found that out the other day.

Remember (our reseller did not tell us) that if you use Templates, you need the full upgrade to Office 2016, not just Outlook. I see something about being able to sync with Exchange but on Support calls, I could not get answers about that or if/how it would work. Many of us use Exchange so that our emails and contacts are sync'd to our phones.

Our users are mostly independent contractors that do not work out of the office. I pay for their subscription and hosting, etc. I require them to use ACT! but it is very painful. They are real estate agents, not techies.

Most, not sure if all, are using Windows 10

The experience was not good at all. It just amazes me that all these so-called consultants are really nothing but resellers. There is no "Step by Step" outline. I was very specific that I did not want to upgrade unless it would be seamless, painless, etc. It has been nothing but painful and it has been going on now for over a month.

There are too many people involved and none of them take ultimate responsibility for making this product do what it should. The Reseller, aka consultant, Swiftpage, the server/host - none of them have gotten out ahead of the issues with this or previous upgrades.

I have been an ACT! user for many years in more than one industry. Now I am the owner of my business. Sales and marketing management are my strengths but way too much of every day is spent on Tech Support. I will say that we have Gold Support and with a few exceptions, they have been helpful.

Now I am beginning to use ACT! eMarketing and I was actually on here today looking to for experiences with that. Found nothing but problems. I would love to be able to switch from Constant Contact but from what I see, I cannot afford to do that.

All in all, the experience with ACT over the years has not gotten better but I have not been able to find another solution that gives me the ability to see my entire team, their calendar availability and maintain control over all of the contacts.

Administrator

Your feedback is really valuable to us, and I'll be absolutely making sure the appropriate teams are made aware of your comments.

We're really proud of our Act! Certified Consultants here at Swiftpage, they form a core part of our business and support model - so it's really disappointing that you've had a poor experience with yours. If you could drop me a private message here on the forum, or an email to community@swiftpage.com, with the details of your ACC and I'll make sure we action it.

From the sounds of things, you managed to get everything up and running in the end - is that the case? If you have any outstanding issues let us know, we'll try to help as best we can.

You mentioned that you came here to get some experiences and opinions on Act! Emarketing - one thing I will say is that this is primarily a technical support forum, so we do get the vast majority of posts being about problems - don't let that colour your perception of the product too much, the vast majority of people never need to post here!

Don't forget you can use Act! Emarketing at a Basic service level completely free of charge, so you can get a feel for the product yourself Smiley Happy

If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience with Act! please just let me know.

Not all of my agents are up and running yet, but I am working on it. As my local tech, who takes care of our computers and network and Outlook Exchange account, and my domains, etc., says "it should just work". An upgrade should be able to be installed and step you through what needs to be done. It is always a mystery with Act!, especially the last several years.

I am using the Basic Act! eMarketing and it is fair but I doubt it can replace my Constant Contact usage for multiple email newsletters per month.

How do I private message you? Or email you directly? I will give you the names/firms and perhaps you can recommend someone. I need to make some decisions before the fall.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Kathy

To contact Jon click on his icon on the messages from him and you will see an option to email him.

Bronze Elite Contributor

New problem - not sure if it is a one off or a general problem.

Client upgrade to 20.1 premium seemed to have gone well about 2 weeks ago but they are realising that around 3000 - 4000 records have had the phone numbers corrupted. 

EG 01234 56789 now changed to 1234-56789

Seems random and can be on any phone number field.

Client not a happy bunny !!!

Firstly any comment and secondly any bulk admin tools to resolve please.

Administrator

Which version did they upgrade from?

Could it be that it's the country codes are no longer being displayed in the phone field? This can be enabled in Tools > Preferences > General > Always Display country code in phone fields.

If you suspect it not to be a country code issue - is it that the first character has been trimmed?

I upgraded my company to the ACT V20 upgrade 5 and was hoping to fix all the problems with Outlook, unfortunately, there are more problems now.

Outlook 2013 - add ons disappear every other day..

SQL server stops every other day for all of our remote database users. Windows updates shuts down both the SQL server and elminates the quick link add ons in Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016

The main pain is the SQL server stopping, besides sitting the recovery tab to re-start automatically (which doesnt) what can i do to keep this service running?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Debbie,

You could try using Keystroke's free addon to restart SQL...

https://www.keystroke.ca/en/apps/keystroke-downloads/download/7-free-utilities/132-sql-stop-restarte...

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Bronze Elite Contributor

Not sure if you had SQL 2014 before but this looks like MS trying to apply a patch overnight to SQL.

Look to see if you have SQL update GDR 2269 as pending. The MS knowledge base article is 3045324

The other suspect is any backup or virus checking set to run at night.

If on Windows 10 this article is still pertinent - http://www.egenconsulting.com/what-to-do-if-your-act-crm-wont-start-on-windows-10/