Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 16 startup slow

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 16 startup slow

Have ACT! 16 installed on a few Windows 7 machines.  These computers are not connected to the internet.

When double clicking on the shortcut to open act it starts to open but takes about 20-30 seconds before it finally opens.

It seems like it is trying to access the internet every time and since it cannot it hangs for 30 seconds.

Is there any way to disable it trying to access the internet every time?  Or some other fix?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author darylzero
‎01-12-2016 08:17 PM
Administrator

Re: ACT! 16 startup slow

Hi Daryl,

Protexis uses port 443 and http://license.ntitles.net for this.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

In the top toolbar in Act go to Tools/Preferences?Startup (you may need to slide to the right to get it) In that panel there is a field for Startup view. Change it to anything BUT Welcome. (Contacts is what was the one you probably had in older versions)

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL

Thanks for the reply.  I already have it set to contacts.

This hangs on the splash screen.  They are all on SSD hard drives so it should be very quick.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There coulde be several causes, how much RAM is installed?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

These are all brand new computers win7 x64.  8 gig memory.  corei7

Administrator

Hi Daryl,

Do you still see the delay in opening if the machine is connected to the internet? If it does reduce the time, how much does this reduce it by?

Is there a particular reason why the machines are not connected to the internet? It's worth noting that having an internet connection is part of the system requirements.

Hi,

I can't say for sure with these machines because they are in a financial firm and not allowed to be connected to the internet.

I installed it on my home computer and it opens right up.

Gary can you confirm or deny if parts of ACT! try to connect to the internet upon opening?  I am leaning to this being because of no internet because my home computer is the exact same as these (bought at the same time).

Thanks

Administrator

It could be occurring due to the Protexis licencing service attempting to 'phone home' and verify activation/entitlement. If it's unable to do so within a short time, it will time out. I suspect it could be the case where this is holding up the loading procedure.
Platinum Elite Contributor

I assume this is a shared database on a server. My sense is that the problem lies with the server. By any chance does the server also run Outlook Exchange server? That is a known memory hog and can cause problems with the performance of the SQL server uses for the ACT! database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Negative.  This is a shared database, on a workstation with RAID 1 SSD's.  It is only running ACT!.  It has 16gig memory core i7.