Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 11.0.0.367 Premium - attachments placed in the network does not open

ACT! 11.0.0.367 Premium - attachments placed in the network does not open

I encountered a problems with opening attachments that are placed on mapped locally network drive (e.g. B: -> \\PROMYK\CSSOFTDESK). They are placed in subfolder \Email and came from database conversion of old 6.0 DBF + files structure.

If I attach the UNC path - it works, but in the past we were using this mapping to avoid problems after migration of all the ACT database between various servers (for almost 10 years - so the server name was changed from time to time).

Now, we have a full database converted, with thousands of attachments links pointing B:\kontakty\Email\*.msg - and cannot open these attachments. On request I may send out a screen shot...

Thank you for any idea how to fix it! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Maciek

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT! 11.0.0.367 Premium - attachments placed in the network does not open

Maciek,

Did you do the conversion on the server?

If so go to one of the client machines that can access the B: drive and do the conversion from there, remember if ACT! tries to convert the database and can't see the drive in question its going to skip these attachments.

Make sure when your on the client machine open up ACT! 6 take a look at the attachment, double click it make sure it opens, close  ACT! 6, then open ACT! 11 on the client machine, do the conversion, once its done open the database up and check the attachments, then do a back up and restore as, to the server and share your database. This should work for you.

Hope this helps,

Kurt

Thank you. I did so and... some more 'research'.

The problem is that it looks like most entries 'B:\kontakty\ACT\Email\oa_*.msg' in the new database are incorrectly written (re-created) after import. I found several entries (first 11 from a list of History at My Record) that read attachments properly!

Also, I found that 're-linking' the unfound attachments helps, i.e. the attached document can be found and open after I definine new attachment link to exactly same location and file, as the one that did not work after import! Literally the same path...

So, I found myselt that 'rewriting' entries into database fields migth help, but... it can't be done - no tools.

Regards & thanks,

Maciek

Tuned Listener

Maciek,

You keep using the word import, If you are converting the database everything should come across including the attachments, as long as the attachments are where they say they are in the histories of ACT! 6.

Take a look at this KB

http://tinyurl.com/6s5rbu

Can you please confirm that you are doing a conversion and not trying to import.

Kurt

Kurt,

Thank you. Yes, what I name 'import' is the conversion process of course :-)

I was continuing my investigation and I found that during conversion the B: was resolved to previous UNC path: \\VENTUS\CSSOFTDESK path! How did I find it? Well, I entered the folder containing attachments in ACT!11 database and reviewed the contents of some files. And they point to UNC, not to B:\!!! So, the problem is that I changed the computer where the database is located now (our Business Server) from VENTUS to another computer and... That is the problem.

Temporarily I gave permission to access the old \\VENTUS\ ACT folder to all users and... it works. Temporarily, because we need to shut down old computer in short time.

So, today the question is how to update the contents of thousands of link files (pointers) contents from \\VENTUS... to \\PROMYK (new location of the database)...

Why the B:\ path was resolved, BTW?

Tuned Listener

Maciek,

What country are you in?

Poland. Why are you asking? :-) BTW: I resolved the problem or rather bypassed it. 1. During opening the DBF 6.0 database in 2008 I demanded not to get attachments but rather links, so links were created - and this caused the problem. The same option did not work in 2009, that is why I downgraded for this task. This way the database softdesk was created, opened in 2009 on new server \\PROMYK (data transfer from 2008 was done with no problem) then processed by our staff (many new entries cleanup etc). However in this database we had a problem with opening links, what is the subject of the discussion. AND... After we had recreated shared location \\VENTUS\CSSOFTDESK - links started working, but this was considered as a temporary solution only... In the database everything looks as if it was calling B:, but when you look into links they call \\VENTUS!!! 2. Yesterday I opened good old DBF 6.0 database in 2009, but in this case I demanded getting files to the new database, not links! And it worked fine and easy. So I got database softdesk_2 on \\PROMYK. 3. Because in the meantime our team has already done many operations on new database, so it was impossible to start working with newly created in 2. databased, I exported data from softdesk_2 to softdesk - they were synchronized and all attachments are available correctly, the only disadvantage is that we have to clean entries in history - but it is not a big issue. All data are accessible!
Tuned Listener

Maciek,

Ok so during the conversion process you told ACT! To use shortcuts, to the attachments like they were set up in ACT! 6 and before,

The way you have done it now is much better, this way you have all of the attachments in one location, and if you set up Sync, the attachments will now sync if you wish.

Glad everything worked out

Kurt