Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 10 and ACT 10 Premium

Accepted Solution Solved
mla
Accepted Solution

ACT 10 and ACT 10 Premium

Hello,

presently I have 4 users with ACT 10 version.

The database is placed on Windows 2003. I didn't succeed to make it accessible by client computers without installing Act on server

First question:

Is it really necessary to have Act installed on server where database is located.

Why it's not enough just to share database folder?

I have 2 roaming users. They need to sinchronize the database. The advanced user created the database for roaming users. They can synchronize.

What disturbing me that Act program shoul always run on server. It means that it requires login to console.

It works like this 6 month.

I have heard that Premium edition will allow to synchronize the data without actually running ACT on server

Second question: Is it true?

I can purchase Act Premium 10.

Third question: could clients with ACT 10 connect to Database that is on the machine with ACT Premium?

Forth question: I know that ACT 2009 have been released. Do we have rights for free upgrade from

ACT Premium 10 to Premium 2009 (11)

Thanks.

Michael.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mla
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT 10 and ACT 10 Premium

Hello Michael,

1. Yes, it is necessary to have ACT installed on the server. Database is locally attached to an SQL instance on the server then it is shared by the soft. You cannot open a SQL database which is not attached to an instance

2. Yes, it is true. Premium offers a Network sync tool so you don't need to let the ACT database opened on the server

3. No. To connect a shared database or to synchronise remote with publisher database, all users have to have the same version of ACT exactly.

4. I don't know if it is possible to "receive" a free upgrade and what are the conditions for. See with a local ACC.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mla
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Hello Michael,

1. Yes, it is necessary to have ACT installed on the server. Database is locally attached to an SQL instance on the server then it is shared by the soft. You cannot open a SQL database which is not attached to an instance

2. Yes, it is true. Premium offers a Network sync tool so you don't need to let the ACT database opened on the server

3. No. To connect a shared database or to synchronise remote with publisher database, all users have to have the same version of ACT exactly.

4. I don't know if it is possible to "receive" a free upgrade and what are the conditions for. See with a local ACC.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
mla

Thanks a lot for clear answer!
Platinum Elite Contributor

mla:

In answer to your question regarding a free upgrade from 2008 (10.0) to 2009 (11.0), we do have a new program called ACT! Platinum Care that includes free upgrades from one version to the next.  Contact our Sales department (see our website) and ask them about this package.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Also re free upgrade... there is usually a 30 or 60 day period for free upgrades (depending on where you purchased it). So, if you've just purchased it, you may be entitled.
mla

Hello,

I have one more question.

From the first explanation I understood that computers with ACT 10 cannot access a database that running on ACT premium.

All machines accessing Premium Database must be Premium.

I want to ask if Act premium computer can access share database of Act (regular)?

Thanks,

Michael.

No, it's the same both ways.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
mla

Roy,

and one more Smiley Happy

may be there is a work around for making Act 10 database synchronisation process functionning without login to the server locally and openning the application.

The situation is that for me it's completely undesirable to login in and grub server resources just to make sync for one person once a week but the big boss doesn't want to put money for Premium.

thanks,

Michael.

No, ACT! standard needs to be open and logged in to sync.

It might be possible to do this via a macro on a particular schedule, butthey time to create and test the mecro would probably cost more than the upgrade to Premium