Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

[ACT! 07] [New problem] ACT! crashes on loading.

[ACT! 07] [New problem] ACT! crashes on loading.

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone,

I'm working at a publishing firm and I just installed Act! Premium for Workgroups 2007 on 4 computers. Two of them work just fine, but our two new workstations don't like to cooperate. During installation, it will get to the last SQL install, realize it doesn't work, and rollback. After Act! itself is done installing, I can open it, but that's where it stops. The demo database won't load (check firewall error) and the company's database won't load, giving an error that reads "Act Schema Update failed. I'd be reasonably willing to bet that this is caused by a SQL error, and sad to say, SQL is by far not my forte. I don't think it's a hardware compatibility, but in the event that Act! 2007 just doesn't like, say, Core 2 Duo processors, I have (on each machine) an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.000 GHz, motherboard (among other things) were not specified by the company that built them, however if it's likely that it could be hardware-related, I can get all of the information.

What I've tried includes reinstalling (Windows firewall on, which didn't hinder the installation of the working computers), exporting a database and importing into a new one on the working machines and opening on the problem machines, and updating the Act! software. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for all the help in advance,
Jeremy

Message Edited by xmolder on 03-10-2008 02:14 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: [Act! 07] Act Schema Update failed, can't open any databases.

Are the two new workstations Vista machines? If so, ACT! 2007 won't work on those machines.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are not using Vista (as per Roy's suggestion), what was the SQL install issue?

The schema update error can also be if the versions of ACT! are not all the same. Make sure you have 9.01 and Hotfix 3 installed on all machines.

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for my slow replies!

First off, no, we're still running on XP Pro SP2, not Vista. As for the specific SQL installation error, I wish I could tell you. I uninstalled ACT! and SQL, reinstalled, and there was no error. However, that doesn't mean problem solved. Now, when I try to open ACT!, it just says "failed to open a connection to the database," and it shuts down. It's version 9.0, and I can't for the life of me find an update to 9.01 on the website, so.

I'm gonna' give it a shot on the other workstation, and see if I can get the error to pop up again.

Never thought I'd WANT to see an error,
Jeremy
Copper Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

To find the 9.01 updates go to act.com then click on Support - Downloads.  You'll have to create an act.com profile if you don't already have one and log in.  You'll then see a long list of updates including ACT! 9.01 Premium US from the link: http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm?DOWNLOAD=330

Beyond that... when you get the "failed to open a connection to the database" are you trying to open a remote/network database or one hosted on the local machine?  Or does the error happen in both situations?

HTH,
jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

Thank you very much, Jason.

Partial success! On the second workstation, I uninstalled ACT! and SQL, reinstalled, and it worked just fine, as far as opening the program goes. As for getting the database I need to open? Nope, but that's simply a networking issue (permissions and the like) that I should be able to work out.

However, on the original computer, I still can't get the SQL installation error to show up again, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. In response to your question, Jason, I get the error when I try to load ACT! itself, not a particular database. I never get a chance to try to load one. I really can't imagine what I'm doing wrong, as, since we set up the computers, we've done the same things on each one, in the same order, and I'm only experiencing the problem on one. I've tried installing ACT!/SQL with firewalls on and off, with avast! turned off, to no avail.