Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A visual view of the ACT! database structure...

Accepted Solution Solved
Platinum Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

A visual view of the ACT! database structure...

I thought this post might be useful for the more technical who want to read the ACT! database with ODBC for application or reporting purposes:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/04/getting-table-structure-and-links-from.html

Please comment with any thoughts or suggestions... here or on the blog.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GLComputing
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: A visual view of the ACT! database structure...

The ACT! Reader will work with ACT! 2005 and later Premium databases (MSDE/SQL 2000 and SQL Express/SQL 2005). After testing, it does not look like it can access a non-Premium database. Also, the ACT! Reader does need to have .NET 2.0 installed to run.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Thanks, Mike...this is good information. Just a note regarding the KB article (22989) referenced on the web page.  The article refers to the ACT! Reader Utility. This utility does not come standard with ACT! until the 2009 (11.1) Premium versions. However, the utility is zipped as a file attachment in KB 22989.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

There only seems to be a PDF attached to 22989 ... is that the document you mean?

I will need to retract my statement regarding the utility being attached to the article...this is not the case. Currently, only the .pdf for the ACT! Reader users guide is attached to the KB article. The utility does comes standard with the Premium version of ACT! 2009 (11.1). Users of other versions will need to contact ACT! Corporate Sales at (888)855-5222 for additional information. My apologies for the misinformation.

Greig Hollister

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the clarification, Greig.

As you know, I do read the KB articles :-)

BTW: If anyone with Premium 11.1 wants to try this, MS do have a downloadable trial of Visio 2007

Message Edited by GLComputing on 04-22-2009 07:14 PM

Greig,

It now appears that someone has pulled that article... or it now requires a logon.

Any idea on the reason?

[ Edited ]
The article was taken off-line to make some updates, but it's back up now. The decision has actually been made to add the ACT! Reader Utility to the KB since it is a free product. So I am retracting my earlier retraction...the Reader is now a file attachment in KB 22989. Sorry to all for the confusion.
Message Edited by ghollister on 04-24-2009 09:46 AM

Greig Hollister

Thanks for ActReader being added to the KB.

Can you confirm that it will work with all versions? 2005/2006 are listed with the KB.... does it work with the versions based on .Net 1.1 and using SQL 2000?

Also, is it limited to the Premium builds, or will it run on standard ACT! by Sage?

Solution
Accepted by topic author GLComputing
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The ACT! Reader will work with ACT! 2005 and later Premium databases (MSDE/SQL 2000 and SQL Express/SQL 2005). After testing, it does not look like it can access a non-Premium database. Also, the ACT! Reader does need to have .NET 2.0 installed to run.

Greig Hollister

Thanks for doing the testing and for the update... nice to know it works with all Premium versions.

Interesting that it does work with the MSDE/SQL2000 versions and not the non-Premium versions. If I get the time, I must have a play and see what it hooks into to work.